[SOLVED] OS Up-dates errors and video cutting

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thefifthelement33
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] OS Up-dates errors and video cutting

Post by thefifthelement33 »

Good day to you all,

I have two issues. One is related to my OS and another to wich Multimedia App to chose to cut videos:

1. The first issue concerns the Up-dates to my OS. I am currently running a Linux Mint 17.3 X64 bits Cinnamon, version 2.8.8, and when I search for Up-dates it shows an error message like the one in the attachment. I have not been able either to up-date my software via Software Administrator or Driver Administrator.

2. The second issue concerns on choosing a video cutter that is not necessary changing your video format. I tried cutting with WinFF and with Curlew but they were not able to pin point the precise interval I chose. They were cutting well in the begining of my time selection and the end for them was the end of the video.

I thank you verry much for your answers in advance.

I am sorry for my bad english.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: OS Up-dates errors and video cutting

Post by kukamuumuka »

1.) Fix mergelist errors in the Software Sources.
fix mergelist errors.png
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

thefifthelement33 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:33 am2. The second issue concerns on choosing a video cutter that is not necessary changing your video format. I tried cutting with WinFF and with Curlew but they were not able to pin point the precise interval I chose. They were cutting well in the begining of my time selection and the end for them was the end of the video.
Editing or encoding digital video isn't as simple as it may seem. Unless it's raw video (ie. it's compressed) you have key frames and non key frames. You can't cut on non key frames without doing any re encoding.

And with x264/AVC video, which is the most common type, there are no free GUI tools that will cut on non key frames. This is also true in Windows. I suspect this is why the apps you're using aren't cutting exactly where you want.

To really see what's in you media files you need Mediainfo. It's an essential media too. The package name is medianfo-gui. Install that.

If you really need to cut at exact time codes you'll likely need a non GUI tool like ffmpeg. Here's something to read I found in a quick search ...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/184 ... ing-ffmpeg

... but if you're new to this I think there'll be a lot more reading needed.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ShadowMessiah

Post by ShadowMessiah »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:01 am
Editing or encoding digital video isn't as simple as it may seem. Unless it's raw video (ie. it's compressed) you have key frames and non key frames. You can't cut on non key frames without doing any re encoding.
This is wrong. If the editing software is doing what it should, then it will completely decode and interpolate the frames into whole (progressive) frames for cutting. It will only need to re-encode on export. The only way you would end up with an issue regarding "P" or "B" frames (frames that only contain the differences between frames) is if you're missing an "I" frame, for the "B" and "P" frames to be interpolated from. If that's the case though, then you have corrupted media.

Look at Lightworks for a decent editor on Linux... The problem is it's ridiculously confusing to use when you're just getting started. And unfortunately, $150 if you want anything higher than 720p support.
Last edited by ShadowMessiah on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ShadowMessiah wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 amThis is wrong. If the editing software is doing what it should, then it will completely decode and interpolate the frames into whole (progressive) frames for cutting. It will only need to re-encode on export.
avidemux can do that, at least with certain formats. It'll reencode small chunks and copy the rest.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”