Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
alcuinus
Level 1
Level 1

MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Post by alcuinus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently migrated from xubuntu to Linux Mint and I like this distribution very much. I have a problem installing a program, that used to run smoothly under xubuntu. The program (http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm) is an excellent tool for music writing and for producing high quality sound files.

I downloaded the most recent version and I always get a MD5 checksum error message:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: <data1> is different from <data2>
I tried also with the old versions that I had been successfully using under xubuntu and it's the same. I asked the Myriad team and they answered that they could not detect any problem -- they checked the files and it was all right. The old files were installing with no problems under xubuntu: I always keep backups and so I could try also with some old versions, but the message is always the same. Interestingly, "md5sum.textutils -c filename" says:

Code: Select all

no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found
I therefore believe that the problem must be in my installation. I have two questions:
  • maybe my linux box is using an incompatible version of MD5?
  • Since I trust those files, having installed them before, is there a way to bypass the MD5 checksum step?
This is the necessary information about my system:
  • Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
  • Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Many thanks -- and keep the good work!
guido (Italy)

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Post by catweazel » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 am

alcuinus wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm
This is the necessary information...
What you don't tell those who might be able to help you is exactly how you're doing the install.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

alcuinus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Post by alcuinus » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:57 pm

Sure, you are right. The file is an executable file: just "chmod +x" and execute. It is not a debian package. It used to work well under xubuntu.

Return to “Software & Applications”