MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alcuinus

MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Post by alcuinus »

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently migrated from xubuntu to Linux Mint and I like this distribution very much. I have a problem installing a program, that used to run smoothly under xubuntu. The program (http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/harmony.htm) is an excellent tool for music writing and for producing high quality sound files.

I downloaded the most recent version and I always get a MD5 checksum error message:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: <data1> is different from <data2>
I tried also with the old versions that I had been successfully using under xubuntu and it's the same. I asked the Myriad team and they answered that they could not detect any problem -- they checked the files and it was all right. The old files were installing with no problems under xubuntu: I always keep backups and so I could try also with some old versions, but the message is always the same. Interestingly, "md5sum.textutils -c filename" says:

Code: Select all

no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found
I therefore believe that the problem must be in my installation. I have two questions:
  • maybe my linux box is using an incompatible version of MD5?
  • Since I trust those files, having installed them before, is there a way to bypass the MD5 checksum step?
This is the necessary information about my system:
  • Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
  • Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
  • Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Many thanks -- and keep the good work!
guido (Italy)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Post by catweazel »

alcuinus wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm This is the necessary information...
What you don't tell those who might be able to help you is exactly how you're doing the install.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
alcuinus

Re: MD5 checksums -- installation problem

Post by alcuinus »

Sure, you are right. The file is an executable file: just "chmod +x" and execute. It is not a debian package. It used to work well under xubuntu.

Return to “Software & Applications”