Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
anotheri
Level 1
Level 1

Best usenet reader/usenet provider?

Post by anotheri » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Looking to give usenet a serious shot as something to mess around with/have fun with. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately depending on your perspective I was never old enough to have used usenet in it's hayday, geocities and the rest of the www pub net was my thing.

So two things, is there a go to beginner friendly no fuss/low cost usenet provider people could recommend?

Along with a recommended preferably freeware/beginner friendly usenet reader? I believe Mozilla Thunderbird can be setup for usenet/NNTP and I know it's already installed on my Linux distro but like anything I'm unsure if this is the best option, I know Outlook Express can be setup for usenet as well and I doubt that's a good reader.

Before anyones says it, I'm not really looking for the binaries. I actually want to use usenet for it's discussion groups/text oriented BBS style environment, downloading binaries is second/lower priority. So a usenet reader/usenet provider that's more optimum for posting/discussions would be better. I don't need the hottest nzb file garbing software.

Does the usenet provider make a difference? Are there usenet providers more oriented towards BBS/Discussion groups vs binaries or are all usenet providers like ISP's so it's all the same thing basically, they just provide access?

Other than that, any general recommendations/advise anyone has about using usenet as a beginner? Any security tips or things I should know/watch out for? I will be using a VPN and running a Linux machine if that makes a difference.

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Best usenet reader/usenet provider?

Post by rene » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Make sure your internet provider does not in fact run its own news server; they usually do (or did) and it's usually reachable as news.domain.ext. You may or may not have to explicitly login to it when contacting it from inside its own network.

As to reader, Thunderbird will work fine for light/beginning usenet needs, and especially if you use if for mail already. To add a news account, Edit -> Account settings -> Account actions -> Add other account -> Newsgroup account.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:39 pm

I know it's not your primary interest, but for info I hear usenet's not that good at all these days for binary content.

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Post by rene » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:55 pm

Usenet was never any good for binary content; it's a distributed, text-based discussion system onto which binary content was shoehorned in the same sense as "attachments" onto email: by encoding them as text. Rabid piracy made sure said shoehorned content flushed out basically anything else, bytecount-wise certainly -- but as to the essence of usenet it's still fully secondary. In essence usenet is the precursor of fora such as these, from back when the web hadn't yet established itself as the "There Can Be Only One" network application.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm

I use SeaMonkey Mail for mail as well as usenet, it's very similar to Thunderbird; based on that, I think TB will perform just fine.

For a free server, I use Aioe:
https://news.aioe.org/
It suits my needs, so that's what I would recommend.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

anotheri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anotheri » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 am

Ended up using the latest version of Thunderbird and this provider called frugal usenet, got it all setup in a few hours. Works fine out of the box with my Open VPN client configured through Mint's Network Manager.

It's a really interesting throw back, definitely something I wanna partake in but the issue seems to be finding discussion groups that are still active...

Anyone know of any discussion groups that are still full steam ahead? Even better Linux/computer oriented ones?

It just dawned on me, usenet could be the place of an interesting rebirth. The FOSS community has blown up recently due to everything that's been going on.

Usenet disappeared when the pub net really took over mid 90's and brought us to where we are today. Just like MS had it's prime, like say 2004 when literally everything was XP or nothing, it's success could be it's downfall. Windows 10 telemetry spyware is exploding Desktop Linux use, big companies like Google and Microsoft literally controlling the discussion (favoring searches to X company, etc), target marketing, etc. Usenet would be a return to a free open source unmoderated distributed computing discussion platform.

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:02 am

I like Pan. It looks a lot like Forté Agent. I have also used the SeaMonkey newsreader; it is nice, but I prefer Pan. The version (0.139) in Software Manager is old, but it works fine for me. You can install the current version (0.142) using the unofficial PPA or downloading the file from the Git Repository.

A link to an unofficial PPA is at the website http://pan.rebelbase.com, and the Git Repository is https://git.gnome.org//browse/pan2/.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 am

Trying to use Usenet as it was originally intended for just plain text chat can sometimes be a complete pain in the ass with the amount of the Binary spam that occasionally splits and truncates the worldwide servers.

ablebaker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ablebaker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Free news server: http://www.eternal-september.org

The reader I use is slrn. It's terminal-based and a bit fiddly to set up, but works fine. http://www.slrn.org

There are several active linux newsgroups, including one for mint (alt.os.linux.mint).

HTH.

Return to “Software & Applications”