Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sietske
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Freemind or Freeplane

Post by Sietske » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:21 am

Hello everyone,

I was trying to install freemind, but I still didn't manage to get it running yet. I did find another topic about this, it said you had to extract the file and give permission to the sh file to get it running. I did that and clicked on running the programm, but nothing seems to happen yet. Does anyone have advice what to do next?

PS: I'm a newbie who's not really good at ICT, so please explain step by step.

Thank you in advance!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Installing Freemind or Freeplane

Post by xenopeek » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:20 am

FreeMind seems to be an abandoned project since a few years ago. I'd suggest instead to use FreePlane, which is touted as "a redesigned version of the well known FreeMind, and is created by one of FreeMind's key developers."

To install FreePlane just open Software Manager from your menu (it's found in the sidebar or in the administration category), search for FreePlane in that (search field is in upper right of Software Manager's window) and click on it in the search results to go to its details and you can click the install button there to install it.

In general I would recommend you install programs through Software Manager.

Sietske
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sietske » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Thx for the advice! I'm installing Freeplane right now.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:09 pm

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexwi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi,

While it is true that the original FreeMind project has seen no action in a long time, that doesn't make the program less usable.

I installed FreePlane, and it's quite similar, but I found it waaaaaaay slower than freemind, which is fine for my needs.
  • Download the most complete zip file from here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/free ... p?download (moderator note: download link was taken from FreeMind wiki here http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/in ... d#Download)
  • For the sake of this answer, let's say that the downloaded file is in your home's Downloads directory. Type the following commands to extract all the files in their new home:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads
    sudo mkdir /usr/bin/freemind
    sudo unzip freemind-bin-max-1.0.1.zip -d /usr/bin/freemind/
    sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/freemind/freemind.sh
  • The icon, in case you want to add FreeMind to your mint menu, will be inside /usr/bin/freemind/lib/freemind.jar. These commands will put the file in your /usr/bin/freemind/lib directory:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/bin/freemind/lib
    sudo unzip -j freemind.jar \*/FreeMindWindowIcon.png
If you don't have java already installed in your system, I suggest you follow Manky Gitt's instructions in https://sourceforge.net/p/freemind/disc ... /33f5ff09/ which is where I got these steps from, along with http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/in ... ere_one.3F for the icon's location.

I had issues with fonts rendering (color artifacts) in FreeMind, which are resolved by going (once FreeMind is running) to Tools->Preferences->Appearance, and selecting CDE/Motif for Look and Feel (first setting on that window). FreePlane is not plagued by this issue.

Also, since this is old software, I suggest you preserve the zip file once you download it, as old files have a tendency to disappear from the internet (unless they contain embarrassing images or videos created while intoxicated).

Alex

Return to “Software & Applications”