Printer drivers for Canon Pixma iP1600 (2) (solved).

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Printer drivers for Canon Pixma iP1600 (2) (solved).

Post by Wompoo »

Since I installed Linux Mint 18.2 on my Dell 32 bit computer, I have been unable to find the drivers to run this printer. I did have the correct drivers for Mint 17.3.
I experienced frustration finding them before as reported on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=155673 (my thread).

I tried the Gutenprint site and when that did not work, I tried the instructions listed here:

How To - Install Canon PIXMA ip 1800 Printer drivers.

Go to https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/+ar ... non/+index
Which has Ubuntu Canon drivers.
Then click 'View package details'
Click on cnijfilter-common-3.50-2Ubuntu3
and download the .deb file.
Then go to cnijfilter-common-2.70-3Ubuntu3(5 latest)
and download the ip1800 .deb file.
Now first click on the cnijfilter-common-3.50-2Ubuntu2 file and install
Next install the cnijfilter-common-2.70-3Ubuntu3 file
Reboot your computer, switch on the printer, your printer drivers will now be installed.

This did not work.
Can anyone direct me to a source of drivers that might work?
Perhaps I should go back to my Mint 17.3 operating system in order to use this printer?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
mrjimphelps

Re: Printer drivers for Canon Pixma iP1600 (2)

Post by mrjimphelps »

If you have the correct driver, then it should work. However, I went to the Canon USA and Canon Asia (Thailand) websites, and there was no Linux driver on either site. (I got a Linux driver for my Canon Pixma MX490 printer/scanner at the Canon Asia (Thailand) website.)

I would try again, this time see if you can find an official set of install instructions from Canon. If you following the official instructions precisely AND if you have the correct driver, then it should work.

I did just what you did the first time - I got the driver and followed some unofficial instructions for installing it. Afterward, my scanner didn't work. I then got the official instructions from Canon Asia and followed them very carefully, and my scanner started working!
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the reply mrj.
I will follow it up.
Desktop PC #1
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Try this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/41615/h ... xma-ip1600

It says to use the ip2200 driver.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

PS: I have an ip1800 I was FINALLY able to get working with help from some people here. I also have a PRO-100 that is a very heavy paperweight in Linux. Have to boot Windows to print photos.

It would sure be nice if Canon would support Linux again...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

well done to get things working;

so that ip1600 is a 13yr old printer; you are doing very well to keep it working well; and Canon deserve credit for building devices that keep printing year after year; seemingly, no planned obsolescence here; surely that is good;

sadly, Arch Enemy has one of the PRO devices; a very fine printer and a very capable device for the very and capable discerning user; Canon do provide drivers for all of their standard inkjet devices;

and for their lasers, they released a new UFR driver; about ten days ago; to cope with issues that Ubuntu created in 17.10; so in those terms, we should surely give them credit for prompt support;

so it is sad that the PRO devices are not supported; Turboprint do provide a driver; but I think Arch Enemy has reported it wasn't helpful enough;

_________

the printing world will be changing for Mint with the release in July; where Mint adopts Ubuntu 18.04 which will have airprint support; Ubuntu implemented it in 17.04 a year ago and one can google on the list of printers that are supported; essentially, it seems that all devices made in the last several years will be compatible; no drivers seem needed; the OS will essentially auto-configure and show the printer as "driverless":

so for those such as Arch Enemy, the Pro100 will be supported in the next release of Mint; by June-July; and I suspect much of what is done will move away from manually installing drivers; to such things as airprint; auto-configure;

similarly Canon now supply one driver for the inkjet range; that seems to cover all the standard releases;

best wishes to all
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

pdc_2 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 pm well done to get things working;

so that ip1600 is a 13yr old printer; you are doing very well to keep it working well; and Canon deserve credit for building devices that keep printing year after year; seemingly, no planned obsolescence here; surely that is good;

sadly, Arch Enemy has one of the PRO devices; a very fine printer and a very capable device for the very and capable discerning user; Canon do provide drivers for all of their standard inkjet devices;

and for their lasers, they released a new UFR driver; about ten days ago; to cope with issues that Ubuntu created in 17.10; so in those terms, we should surely give them credit for prompt support;

so it is sad that the PRO devices are not supported; Turboprint do provide a driver; but I think Arch Enemy has reported it wasn't helpful enough;

_________

the printing world will be changing for Mint with the release in July; where Mint adopts Ubuntu 18.04 which will have airprint support; Ubuntu implemented it in 17.04 a year ago and one can google on the list of printers that are supported; essentially, it seems that all devices made in the last several years will be compatible; no drivers seem needed; the OS will essentially auto-configure and show the printer as "driverless":

so for those such as Arch Enemy, the Pro100 will be supported in the next release of Mint; by June-July; and I suspect much of what is done will move away from manually installing drivers; to such things as airprint; auto-configure;

similarly Canon now supply one driver for the inkjet range; that seems to cover all the standard releases;

best wishes to all
Good info. I hope it works!

Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for all the good replies with suggestions.
I have tried them all now. Still no working in my Mint 18.2
The irony is that the drivers that I have found worked in Mint 17.x
I am considering going back to that earlier version of Mint solely for the reason to enable printing from this computer if and when I need it.
Desktop PC #1
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Wompoo wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 am I tried the Gutenprint site and when that did not work
Could you be a little more specific about "did not work"? openprinting.org says that printer does indeed work with the Gutenprint drivers:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Can ... XMA-iP1600

And I see that a number of Gutenprint packages are available for install in Mint 18.3. (I don't have 18.2 installed here, but I would assume Gutenprint is available in 18.2 also.) So, please tell us a little more: did you try to install the Gutenprint drivers? If so, what version? From the Mint repos, or from openprinting.org? What happened? Did you get an error message during the install attempt? Or did it install OK, but then not print?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the reply Jim.
jimallyn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:57 am Could you be a little more specific about "did not work"? openprinting.org says that printer does indeed work with the Gutenprint drivers:
Error notice received: "Missing Printer Driver".

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Can ... XMA-iP1600
And I see that a number of Gutenprint packages are available for install in Mint 18.3. (I don't have 18.2 installed here, but I would assume Gutenprint is available in 18.2 also.) So, please tell us a little more: did you try to install the Gutenprint drivers? If so, what version? From the Mint repos, or from openprinting.org? What happened? Did you get an error message during the install attempt? Or did it install OK, but then not print?
I have tried both methods. I will do it all again and clarify for discussion purposes. Sorry, I have tried so many things and I am bit hazy on what etc.
Will post again after I have tried both sources etc.

Jim.
Desktop PC #1
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Wompoo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:00 am Thanks for all the good replies with suggestions.
I have tried them all now. Still no working in my Mint 18.2
The irony is that the drivers that I have found worked in Mint 17.x
I am considering going back to that earlier version of Mint solely for the reason to enable printing from this computer if and when I need it.
Perhaps you could install Mint 17.x in a virtual machine, and print from there as needed.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

mrjimphelps wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm ......................................
Perhaps you could install Mint 17.x in a virtual machine, and print from there as needed.
That is one option, thanks for the suggestion.
Would that take up less disk space than just installing Mint 17.2 alongside this one? I have spare disk space, I think. I will check.
Desktop PC #1
Richardj
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Richardj »

I used this https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18 to get my canon printer working
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Wompoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 amWould that take up less disk space than just installing Mint 17.2 alongside this one?
No, but it would save having to reboot to print.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Richardj wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:16 am I used this https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/18 to get my canon printer working
Thanks Richard. I did try that: Result = No driver found on the site here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/port ... xma-ip1600
Desktop PC #1
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 am
Wompoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 amWould that take up less disk space than just installing Mint 17.2 alongside this one?
No, but it would save having to reboot to print.
Thanks for that clarification Jim. I have downloaded an ISO image of Mint 17.3 KDE, so will try it when I get the opportunity.
Desktop PC #1
mrjimphelps

Post by mrjimphelps »

Wompoo wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 am
mrjimphelps wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:14 pm ......................................
That is one option, thanks for the suggestion.
Would that take up less disk space than just installing Mint 17.2 alongside this one? I have spare disk space, I think. I will check.
If you would prefer dual boot over virtual machine, you could install Mint 17.2 on a flash drive as Linux Live with persistent storage, then get your printer working in Linux Live. That wouldn't take up any of your hard drive space.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

mrjimphelps wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm ........................................

If you would prefer dual boot over virtual machine, you could install Mint 17.2 on a flash drive as Linux Live with persistent storage, then get your printer working in Linux Live. That wouldn't take up any of your hard drive space.
That is a creative suggestion, thanks.
I have had little success with virtual machine installation. Besides, the portability of the USB live drive has distinct advantages.
I have yet to successfully copy a operating system ISO to a USB, but will persist and try again. All my attempts so far have failed.
But that is a matter for another thread....................
Desktop PC #1
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Canon_Asia Drivers Downloads
Support/Downloads: http://support-my.canon-asia.com/?personal

Canon PIXMA iP2200:
http://search-my.canon-asia.com/canon__ ... DS%09Linux

* The Source file (The 2nd one in the list, contains the makefile)

Canon Inkjet Print Filter Ver. 2.60 for Linux (Source file)
cnijfilter-common-2.60-4.src.rpm

Just extract the .rpm, then inside the extracted folder, extract the .tar
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Thanks for the reply Joe. I will try it tomorrow.
But one question: ".rpm" files? Not ".deb"?
Desktop PC #1

Return to “Software & Applications”