Plasma Framework is Crashing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Plasma Framework is Crashing

Post by banjo »

Components of the Plasma framework are now crashing all the time on my system. Specifically, baloo crashes with a bus error every time I log in. Krunner crashes every time I try to do a command search with a segmentation fault. At one point, I could not run Konsole because that was crashing every time I tried to run it. I managed to get that back with a reboot, but it is scary when you lose access to the command line.

I am suspicious of an update that I installed recently (I think it was on Feb 18) that warned that KDE 4 was going to be removed. I am suspicious of an unknown dependency on something that was removed. That is just a WAG. I have no evidence of that being the cause, but the timing is suspicious.

Any suggestions, advice, and pointers would be very much appreciated. Heck, I am even accepting dope-slaps at this point because my system is seriously compromised and I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks,
Banjo
(_)=='=~
UPDATE: I just logged in as another user, and everything works. Search works; baloo does not crash. So it is something wrong with my user account on Plasma.
Suggestions about how to clear out whatever it is I have done would be welcome.

I am now most especially accepting dope-slaps because it is becoming clear that I have stepped in something soft. :oops:

Thanks again
Banjo
(_)=='=~
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Plasma Framework is Crashing

Post by banjo »

Update: I went into "System Settings=>Search" and disabled "File Search", then pushed the "Clear History" button and logged out. When I logged back in, baloo did not crash.

I suppose that demonstrates that if you don't run a program, it will not crash. :shock:

However, krunner still crashes every time I use it. Krunner works OK on the other user accounts.

I looked in the .config/k* and .config/plasma* files to see if anything looked suspicious, but I don't see anything to make use of. I reset .config/krunnerrc to the same contents as another user where it works, logged out and back in. But that did not help. After krunner crashed, my .config/krunnerrc file was back to the way it was before I "fixed" it. The crash must be a side effect of another setting.

Code: Select all

$ cat .config/krunnerrc
[PlasmaRunnerManager]
LaunchCounts=1 services_mintstick-kde.desktop
I cannot find any file called "services_mintstick-kde.desktop" in my home folder. I am not sure why mintstick would be showing up in a krunnerrc file.

If I figure out how to fix this, I will post the solution.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Plasma Framework is Crashing

Post by banjo »

I just noticed that I have duplicated my own thread. This is really the same problem as expressed in my other thread, "Krunner Crashes", but it has grown bigger than that now since baloo also crashes. I posted a separate thread for each, but i think they are related.

I have still not found a workaround or a fix.

Can anyone tell me how to reset my Plasma 5 settings. Most of what I have found on the interwebs is about KDE 4, which is not relevant to Plasma 5. I am a bit leery of simply deleting all of the ~/.config/k* files. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Thanks,
Banjo
(_)=='=~

Return to “Software & Applications”