Suggest -- update manager

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cthulhu

Suggest -- update manager

Post by cthulhu »

First -- there should be an explicit subforum for Update Manager.

Second -- in my case, I have completely removed all 4.4.x kernels through the software manager (which is awesome to be able to do, BTW) (I'm running and have a backup installed of 4.13.x). But the update manager keeps trying to install kernel headers from 4.4.x. It seems like a subforum for Update Manager would be a great way to separate out niggly dependency issues from "wrath of God/cats and dogs living together" issues requiring Great Thought.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Suggest -- update manager

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just finished doing some reading on that situation, here is what I found:

sudo apt-get update

In a nutshell, apt-get update doesn't actually install new versions of software. Instead, it updates the package lists for upgrades for packages that need upgrading, as well as new packages that have just come to the repositories.

apt-get update downloads the package lists from the repositories and "updates" them to get information on the newest versions of packages and their dependencies. It will do this for all repositories and PPAs.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

are you sure the old kernel is really gone?

sudo apt remove --purge kernel(your version)* should get rid of it.

an example that I just ran for LibreOffice:

LibreOffice Removal:
this worked like a charm:
sudo apt remove --purge libreoffice*

or:
sudo purge-old-kernels
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:03 am In my case, I have completely removed all 4.4.x kernels through the software manager (which is awesome to be able to do, BTW) (I'm running and have a backup installed of 4.13.x). But the update manager keeps trying to install kernel headers from 4.4.x. It seems like a subforum for Update Manager would be a great way to separate out niggly dependency issues from "wrath of God/cats and dogs living together" issues requiring Great Thought.
Perfectly normal and quite harmless in my experience to have the 4.4.x linux-libc-dev package installed and up to date along side a 4.13.x kernel.
There aren't 4.13.x versions available in the repos in any case. They are not shipped with the HWE kernels as they are not part of the kernel package per-se.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/957411/ ... nother-ker

No great thought required in this particular case.. :D
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Software & Applications”