Sudo apt-get remove python and rebooting problems

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinksLinuxLinxLink

Sudo apt-get remove python and rebooting problems

Post by LinksLinuxLinxLink »

Greetings, first post so you know, I crashed my system and after a several hours can't get things back up. After re-installing python and working through many things, I now turn to you. I am using Linux Mint (LM) 17.3, kernel 4.4.0-112-generic x86_64, 64 bit on an Acer Aspire V5 with an Intel Celeron 1007U dual core CPU.

So, I ignored the "Yes, do as I say!" warning a few days ago and feel I have recovered mostly from that through things like "sudo apt install -f cinnamon" and similar. Currently my main problem is when booting. I boot to a "Ubuntu 17.3" screen with four little dots underneath, and occasional flash of some words or warnings that I can't quite make out. Additionally, while I can access some things through the new Ubuntu interface, downloading anything from the internet (for example a fresh version of LM to boot from a USB drive) or attempting to attach any files (such as a screenshot of my "inxi -Fxz" results, makes everything close and takes me to a purple log-in screen. Logging back in as if I had my screen locked, and my internet (Firefox 58.02, linux 1.0) will be in page recovery. How do I boot to LM 17.3, and will the soft-crashing from downloads or file-attachment continue in that environment?

Notes and considerations: CTRL+ALT+T gives me a UXTERM command line, CTRL+ALT+F1 gives me a full screen command line, and I'm not sure which to use. Generally I have been using the full screen one. Prior to all of this I was working on some things for PlayOnLinux (wine, wine staging, d3dx9, dotnet4.0, and enabled CSMT) for some gaming. During that time for other reasons I removed python, troubles begin. Since then, other than a half dozen ways to update and install cinnamon, the only thing I can think of that may effect things is my playing with GRUB2, though I'm pretty sure my notes let me properly reset that.

This is the second time I've crashed my computer playing around with it, but I'm not too worried - always wanted to learn Linux!

Thanks in advance.

Edit: During the boot-up screen for the Ubuntu splash page, the following note is displayed: "Ubuntu 17.3 [16.517829 usb 1-1.1: string descriptor 0 read error: -22".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”