Apparently, I forgot how to verify a gpg signature with only a .sig file and the archive

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

Apparently, I forgot how to verify a gpg signature with only a .sig file and the archive

Post by fruitkiller »

I've done this, imported a public key, because previously it would say that there was an error and no public keys. I look around and am told I need a certain key, so here I go :
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys C3C45C06
gpg: requesting key C3C45C06 from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
gpg: key C3C45C06: "Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>" not changed
gpg: key C3C45C06: "Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 2
gpg: unchanged: 2
x@x ~/Downloads/3.16.54 kernel $ gpg --verify gcc-4.8.4.tar.gz.sign patch-3.16.54.gz
gpg: Signature made Fri 19 Dec 2014 08:00:12 AM EST using DSA key ID C3C45C06
gpg: BAD signature from "Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>"

so bad signature to a kernel file, not something to mess with, and now the system has 2 of these keys that are BAD. What am I to do ? I wanted to relax tonight but when something like this happens I get fixated, I just spent 2 hours trying to verify a freaking file, it's easy with .asc files and such, I never really did it with a .sig or .sign file as is the case here.

All help appreciated! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Apparently, I forgot how to verify a gpg signature with only a .sig file and the archive

Post by Cosmo. »

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

Open software sources -> keys -> mark the key and remove it. Refresh the cache afterwards (button at the top right).
fruitkiller

Re: Apparently, I forgot how to verify a gpg signature with only a .sig file and the archive

Post by fruitkiller »

Thanks for your help, but with some persistence, I managed to have the key verify the 3.16.54 linux kernel folder (I unextracted it).

Now I'd like to know how to patch it, got the 3 files from kernel.org, but the file I have is patch-3.16.54 . when all guides I find tell me to do it with files named .patch.

Do I have to rename that file as .patch? Sorry for the tangent, but it's related, as in I wanted to re-learn how to verify non .asc or .gpg files, and the signature file here was a .sign file. If it's quicker, maybe a link from this forum.

I want to make sure all hardware I have works fine with the very last 3.16 kernel, and it's got a lot of fixes before, I go for 3.19, as 3.19 is where sometimes X-server refused to start after a freezing of the system and then was always unable to reinstall the AMD 15.30.1025 proprietary graphic driver, which seems to be the last to work well with Mint 17. I've made debs out of 15.302, but I don't trust it, and after that they don't work, there's amdgpu-pro but I'll learn how that works at another time. Right now, this thing has been about rebuilding mate 17, in this instance 17.1 mate to make it as exactly the same as my old 17.3 broken install, well looks the same and has a lot of the same applications, Aptik has been quite useful regarding that.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I recommend to use kernel 3.13.latest, which is an LTS kernel and officially supported by Ubuntu. If you patch the kernel yourself, you are on your own. (Leaving open, how current the latest patches for 3.16 are at all.)
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Well, I have the very latest 3.13, I can pick to boot with it, but it feels old, especially as I am sometimes in the future going to upgrade to Mint 17.3.

3.16.54 is the very last 3.16 kernel and from what I've read is compatible with Mint 17.1 I read the whole fixes and I might benefit from some of what's in there.

Just as a guess, should I rename the file named patch-3.16.54 to patch-3.16.54.patch or 3.16.54.patch? I'm already running 3.16.42 as it seemed critical I updated to it when I installed my first 3.16 kernel, lots of articles saying it was very urgent to do so, and it all made a lot of sense, i'm sure you can find those articles yourselves.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

fruitkiller wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm Well, I have the very latest 3.13, I can pick to boot with it, but it feels old, especially as I am sometimes in the future going to upgrade to Mint 17.3.
How can a kernel "feel old"? A kernel does either work or not work with your hardware. Mint 17.3 runs perfectly with kernel 3.13. Actually, if you upgrade a system with LM 17 or LM 17.1 it will - by default and by design - continue to use kernel 3.13.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Tell me something I don't know?

When I upgrade to 17.3, I'll be automatically be using a 3.19 kernel, 3.19.0-32 I think.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fruitkiller wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 am When I upgrade to 17.3, I'll be automatically be using a 3.19 kernel, 3.19.0-32 I think.
Upgrading (through the Update manager) does not change which kernel you are using.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Moem wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am
fruitkiller wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:49 am When I upgrade to 17.3, I'll be automatically be using a 3.19 kernel, 3.19.0-32 I think.
Upgrading (through the Update manager) does not change which kernel you are using.
Then, how do you explain my first mint 17 install, where I did all the upgrades to .1/.2/.3 inherently ended up with me being on 3.19-0.32 with the a check on the Recommended column? Pretty sure a fresh iso of mint 17.3 also doesn't come with 3.13.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fruitkiller wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 am
Moem wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 am Upgrading (through the Update manager) does not change which kernel you are using.
Then, how do you explain my first mint 17 install, where I did all the upgrades to .1/.2/.3 inherently ended up with me being on 3.19-0.32 with the a check on the Recommended column?
I don't. Your upgrade, your kernel, your statement. I'm just stating the facts as I know them. An upgrade does not automatically install a newer kernel.
fruitkiller wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 am Pretty sure a fresh iso of mint 17.3 also doesn't come with 3.13.
That's neither here nor there. An upgrade is not a fresh install.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

... and other than all that, if you'd be installing a non-Ubuntu, mainline kernel anyway you can grab it from the Ubuntu mainline repository: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.16.54/. That's built with still a few Ubuntu-specific patches ("sauce") ensuring minimal interoperability between the generic kernel and the Ubuntu user space.

Not to say that installing 3.16 makes any particular sense in the first place, mind you. On Mint 17 you should at this point go for the 4.4 kernel. How is described at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack under the Ubuntu 14.04 heading.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Here is the official answer regarding upgrading to 17.3 and kernel; see the section "Additional info".
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Additional info
[snip]
Although Linux Mint 17.3 features a newer kernel, this upgrade does not change the kernel on your behalf. This is a decision only you should take. Should you decide to upgrade to 17.3’s recommended kernel you can do so by applying the “linux-kernel-generic” update, post-upgrade.
[/snip]
Posted here, as the blog is spread out over a mile of vertical screen space and thus rather hard to navigate.

4.4 latest - assuming it works OK - is what I'd recommend.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”