Before you post please read how to get help
WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Browser history and privacy

Post by WHVW » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi,
This should be simple, (I hope):
How can I preserve my browser history for myself (I find it quite convenient and useful) while keeping it away from prying websites, etc?
Could it be stored in a "secret" directory or otherwise disguised? Or some other method?
Thanks.

ugly
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Browser history and privacy

Post by ugly » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 am

The history stored by your web browser isn't going to be tracked by websites you visit. There are far more sophisticated ways to track a person's browsing habits across the internet.

One concern might be if the web browser you use 'phones home' and sends your browsing information back to sell your information to advertising companies for profit. That would be a matter of finding a web browser provider that you trust.

smurphos
Level 5
Level 5

Post by smurphos » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 am

Disable third party cookies and delete first party cookies regularly (you may wish to whitelist frequently visited and trusted sites for log in details/site preferences) whilst leaving your history intact.

How you do this or what tools you do this with will depend on your browser.

Websites can track via cookies, not so by your history as such.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:17 am

if you use Firefox,

just install two Addons:

Privacy Badger

uBlock Origin

and they can't see you

WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WHVW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:28 pm

To Ugly, AZg|1500 and smurphos:

I disallowed third party cookies a long time ago, and I have my browser, (Firefox) set to delete cookies upon exit (computer 2, always private on computer 1). I have also installed "Disconnect", "Ad blocker for You Tube" (things always seem to point to it even though I'd rather not go there) "Better Privacy" and "Ghostery".
Hopefully, you guys/gals might have some opinions on which are better and/or redundant.
I also use a VPN.
Yet it seems that almost every day one finds out about some new tracking terror; so I'm just trying to keep ahead of it all (with your help).
I'll look into Privacy Badger and ublock.

Thanks.

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:48 pm

I use "ScriptSafe", "u Block origin", and "Https everywhere" in both Firefox and Chrome.
I wrote a script to purge all Browsers' Data-History-Cache-Telemetry-Datareporting-Storage-Macromedia etc, when needed.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:25 pm

Keep those nasty unwanted cookies off your system.

Depending of your location its just as, if not more, important to stop your ISP from seeing your browsing history. I believe American ISP's can now sell your info to third parties. British ISP's do it to spy on and record what its citizens look at online because of a law dubbed 'snoopers charter'.

Use a reliable ( not as easy as you would think ) VPN provider to protect your privacy.

At the very least not using your ISP's DNS services is a must ( pretty much a standard these days for those in the know ) and, maybe, I do, DNScrypt which will encrypt the requests sent to the DNS service. Neither of these options are particularly hard to set up and free.

There's also Tor Browser ( the debate continues about that one but its better than going 'commando' )

Oh, I'll say it now, NEVER use 'Bleachbit' unless you want to wreck your system.

AZgl1500
Level 6
Level 6

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:51 am

I have subscribed to PureVPN family plan for several years, it always works.

Tonight, I logged into my bank and got a popup "will you let us see your location?" and I clicked on YES.
got another popup, "We cannot see your location"....

and I went on, smiling.

Return to “Software & Applications”