xfce - thunar - to make folder view specific to each folder

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Girafenaine

xfce - thunar - to make folder view specific to each folder

Post by Girafenaine »

Hello,

I am trying LM 18.3 xfce. I like its simple look and fast behaviour.

But... the file manager thunar has 3 folders view (icon, list or compact list), but its a "sticky" setting. It is still the same when you move to the next folder.

I look on the forum and the web for a way to make it specific to each folder, and I haven't found. I understood that it is not an excellent idea to install caja or nemo under xfce, because of the links between the file manager and the desktop environment.

Could you help me ? I am interested in :
- a way to make thunar folder view specific to the folder
- or a way to have another smart file manager that fits in xfce, able to do that
- or a way to make Mate visually lighter - I can't bear the big and large main menu for example.

Girafenaine
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: xfce - thunar - to make folder view specific to each folder

Post by absque fenestris »

Girafenaine wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:52 pm - or a way to make Mate visually lighter - I can't bear the big and large main menu for example.
Hello
About MATE: there is another menu in the panel-settings and it's possible to modify the main menu.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Girafenaine wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:52 pm... I am interested in :
- a way to make thunar folder view specific to the folder
Not in Thunar.
- or a way to have another smart file manager that fits in xfce, able to do that
AFAIK the only file manager that does this in Linux is Dolphin. However, that's from KDE and installing it will also install a shed load od KDE runtime dependencies. It will run poorly and be very slow.

Actually, you should use the file manager that came with your DE. They're highly integrated into the desktop and changing them just makes things run badly.
- or a way to make Mate visually lighter - I can't bear the big and large main menu for example.
You don't have Mate also installed on that computer do you? Multiple DEs are a BAD idea.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Girafenaine

Post by Girafenaine »

Hello,

Thanks for your messages.

Hoser Rob :
- OK I understand it is not possible in Thunar
- Caja in LM Mate and Nemo in LM Cinnamon do that
- I am looking for a new Linux Mint I could install. I try DEs on live USB. I have understood multiple DE and multiple file manager are to be avoid.

Absque Fenestris :
- I didn't find another menu in settings, nor any way to modify the main menu looking. Could you be more precise ?

Girafenaine
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

The slimline MATE menu is a panel widget called Main Menu. You right-click on an empty part of a panel and Add Item: Main Menu.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Mute Ant wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:47 pm The slimline MATE menu is a panel widget called Main Menu. You right-click on an empty part of a panel and Add Item: Main Menu.
Thank you, Mute Ant.
I have confused Mint Menu with the small Main Menu. Further fine tuning is only possible in the Mint Menu.

Return to “Software & Applications”