What is WINE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Black Swordsman

What is WINE

Post by Black Swordsman »

What is WINE and what exactly does it allow you to do? How does it work?

I [partially] understand that it allows a person to download windows applications but other than that I have no clue
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: What is WINE

Post by Pjotr »

You might find this article interesting, that I've written about Wine:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/wine

Essentially it's an explanation, followed by an advice *not* to use it because of its negative security implications.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
oligalma
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oligalma »

PlayOnLinux is another WINE-based emulator which you might find interesting: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/

Some games, which I couldn't run on WINE, worked well on PlayOnLinux.
Black Swordsman

Thank you for that read Pjotr. I was actually wondering about using virtualbox for the windows applications. I also thank you for the article that I am currently reading on how to install a free legal windows 7 for virtualbox
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

oligalma wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 pm PlayOnLinux is another WINE-based emulator
It's not really another one... it's a front end for Wine that makes it easier to use.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Black Swordsman

Another question. If I were to actually buy a product key for windows 7 and apply it to the windows 7 in VirtualBox, would I have to worry about losing anything that I would put on that application? Main reason I am wanting to do this is is an application from Syrinscape.com but I am not sure if downloading the "android" version is the same as downloading the linux version?

Return to “Software & Applications”