VLC 3.0 - Stable

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pilfer

VLC 3.0 - Stable

Post by Pilfer »

I'm sure many people are aware that VLC released a stable RC of 3.0 a few weeks ago, but it has not been added to the ppa, nor is there a deb package available directly from VideoLan. The only option it seems (outside of compiling it yourself, which I will touch on shortly) for Mint users is to install the Snap package...which blows.

I was wondering if anyone knows of maybe a third party PPA that has a deb package, or if there are any pre-compiled packages out there. I have searched the web multiple times but cannot for the life of me find one. I figured after almost a month that someone, if not an official packager would of done this already, but it doesn't look that way.

So my question is, does anyone know where I can get a deb package of VLC 3.0? If not, can someone provide me with instructions (semi-newb friendly) to compile it myself? All the tutorials I have found are either very outdated, or just a bit over my head. I've played around with Linux, particularly Mint, on and off for the past few years and finally made the permanent switch a few months ago. I have no desire to ever go back and am slowly learning more and more...but the one thing I have not done yet is compile a package from source.

Obviously the ideal solution would be if someone has a pre-compiled packaged that I can simply install, but I am more than willing to compile it myself, if I had instructions that I could follow. I can't be the only one out there that is not satisfied with the Snap package and would like to take advantage of the new features in 3.0!

Thank you in advance and I apologize if I misused terms or spoke incorrectly. I am loving having to re-learn an operating system again, I feel like a kid learning MS-DOS and eventually Windows 3.1 for the first time again. It is wonderful!! But I do still have a lot to learn! 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: VLC 3.0 - Stable

Post by Sir Charles »

If you rule out snap, this appears to be (perhaps) the only way you can get the latest VLC:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc
(https://www.tecmint.com/install-vlc-pla ... linux-mint/)

Please note:
This package archive contains daily builds made from the last stable branch of the VLC media player.

This package archive is intended for testing the build process and bug fixes in impending stable releases of VLC, with view to integration into Ubuntu through stable via either the Stable Release Updates (SRU), or security updates.

Beware that the builds are fully automated, and do not go through any quality assurance whatsoever. Functional regressions and build are relatively rare but they do happen.

https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archiv ... able-daily
Edit: VLC is available as Flatpak in the Software Manager.
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

Marziano wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:38 pm If you rule out snap, this appears to be (perhaps) the only way you can get the latest VLC:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/stable-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc
(https://www.tecmint.com/install-vlc-pla ... linux-mint/)

Please note:
This package archive contains daily builds made from the last stable branch of the VLC media player.

This package archive is intended for testing the build process and bug fixes in impending stable releases of VLC, with view to integration into Ubuntu through stable via either the Stable Release Updates (SRU), or security updates.

Beware that the builds are fully automated, and do not go through any quality assurance whatsoever. Functional regressions and build are relatively rare but they do happen.

https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+archiv ... able-daily
Edit: VLC is available as Flatpak in the Software Manager.
Unfortunately the videolan/stable-daily PPA still has 2.22 in it, not 3.0. Since 3.0 was officially released, the master-daily branch no longer has 3.0 but has 4.0, which is still very unstable.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Oh, that's good to know. Sorry for not having verified that before posting.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

VLC 3.0 is also available as flatpak. Easier than using snap and is in the Mint Software Manager. The bottom right tab/button labeled "Flatpak".
(Spotify and Pithos also are more up to date as flatpak than are found in the "official repository".)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pilfer wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:19 pm... VLC released a stable RC of 3.0 a few weeks ago ...
A couple of thing here. First, "stable RC" is a bit of a contradiction. The only really stable one for your machine is almost always the one in the repos.

Second, in Linux 'stable' builds just mean it was stable on the dev's machine. Not yours. Big difference in Linux.

If you're going to use a long term support distro like Mint ... and newbies should ... you are not going to get the newest versions of software. You can add them via ppas etc ... which by definition are not supported ... but you're very likely to mess up your system if you are a beginner.

Now the question is, is there some new feature there that you can't live without?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pilfer

Post by Pilfer »

Mainly the Chromecast support, but really I just want to use the newest version.

I'm not worried about messing up my system, and honestly if I did, it is easy enough to fix. I call myself a newbie/beginner but in reality, I am pretty confident I am much more advanced than someone who truly is a beginner.

That being said, I don't think there would be any issue installing 3.0. It is an official release, it just hasn't been packaged for use on a debian based system. Even if there were issues, I'm not really concerned. I just want to play around with the new version.

I'll test the Flatpak out. The Software Manager doesn't say what version it is (flatpak) so I just assumed it was still 2.2. I guess I could of just installed it to check :lol:

Thank you for the reply!! I love learning new anything and have absolutely no problem being corrected! That is after all, the best way to learn!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pilfer wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:17 pm Mainly the Chromecast support, but really I just want to use the newest version....
The chromecast support may be worth it IF it works on your release. If it did it'd probably already be iun the repo version

[/quote]... I'm not worried about messing up my system, and honestly if I did, it is easy enough to fix. I call myself a newbie/beginner but in reality, I am pretty confident I am much more advanced than someone who truly is a beginner....
[/quote]

You are TOTALLY a noob if you think you're foing to find it easy to fix a broken system. Rude awakening ahead.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
BlackJackMarcus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BlackJackMarcus »

I'm using VLC 3.0.3 loaded from the Mint Software Manager under Flatpak, The Chromecast support in v3.0.3 works like magic. My OS is Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

my regular software manager (not flatpak because i just dont like their huge bloat) shows VLC as version 3.0.3...DAMIEN
yekim54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yekim54 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 pm my regular software manager (not flatpak because i just dont like their huge bloat) shows VLC as version 3.0.3...DAMIEN
Which version of Mint are you running? I'm on Mint 18.3 and VLC 2.2.2 is listed in the regular Software Manager.
Linux Mint Xfce 20.3 on Intel NUC7i3 and Asus Chromebox CN60 i7
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

yea sorry, im on "19"...DAMIEN

Return to “Software & Applications”