Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
klingklang
Level 1
Level 1

VPN UNLIMITED not connecting (newbie)

Post by klingklang » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Not sure is I've should post it here or on the newbie...bah...it is for a software afterall

I have an account with VPN Unlimited. the only place I can't have it work is on mint (18.3) I've tried the install with both the software manager or directly. I just cant login. keep turning and turning and at the end it say that I am not connected, check your connection..blah blah blah...

I AM CONNECTED !!!!!! at 100% over that... saw nothing in the Mint firewall and can't be my router since it is working on my other devices.

any hints?
"with the web, the whole world is just next to me" -Myself
"no it's not. $$$" -UPS

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: VPN UNLIMITED not connecting (newbie)

Post by jimallyn » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:16 pm

I don't know how you could install that with the Software Manager, as VPN Unlimited's application isn't in the Mint/Ubuntu repositories. I had a look at their website, and they do have a .deb for Debian/Ubuntu, which should presumably work on Mint, too. I would download that file, navigate to wherever I saved it with the file manager, double click it, and gdebi should install it. So, did you get their software installed, and if so, by what method?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

klingklang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klingklang » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 am

VPN Unlimited's application isn't in the Mint/Ubuntu repositories: check again, it is definitively there. also , when you start the deb (i know how to , thank you) a applet ask you that the file is in the soft. Man. and if you want to install it that way instead...

like I said, I had no problem with the install. It is once install that It can find the internet connection.

thank you
"no it's not. $$$" -UPS

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Post by greerd » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:25 am

It looks to me like VPN Unlimited adds itself to the repos when it's installed (like google chrome). There web support, only says to install it and run it, not much else.

I read some reviews, one of which says that the technical support is fast and good. I can only suggest that you use it.

Good luck.

klingklang
Level 1
Level 1

Post by klingklang » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 pm

ok,got an answer and had it sorted wit the following. If it can help other:

You can create VPN configuration files in your personal web office. This guide will help you to figure this out:
https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/en/info ... e-vpn-conf
and then

1. Select the generated *.ovpn file.
Open in the gedit -> delete the word "adaptive" -> save.
2. Then System Settings->Network->"+"->VPN->Import from file->select *.ovpn file->Add.
3. Try to connect.
"no it's not. $$$" -UPS

silfox2000
Level 2
Level 2

Post by silfox2000 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 am

klingklang wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 am
... check again, it is definitively there. also , when you start the deb (i know how to , thank you) a applet ask you that the file is in the soft. Man. and if you want to install it that way instead...
No, it's not there and if an application is in the repository and you try to install it from a deb file, the software manager do not ask you to install it from the repo, so ... it doesn't seem that you know what are you doing. Most probably the "applet" says that it is already installed and asks you to overwrite it.

Return to “Software & Applications”