Alternate Dock

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Alternate Dock

Post by Ozo »

Put icons on the desktop and access them with one click. If the Desktop file is minimized to the panel one click there will open or close it. Modify it to suit, see photo.

The desktop setting "No Icons" means the desktop has none but the file will as that merely hides them on the actual desktop.

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Alternate Dock

Post by all41 »

Try putting your launchers in a directory (folder), then create a keyboard shortcut to open that directory.
Then when you press the keyboard shortcut that directory opens and just start typing the first couple letters of the needed launcher to select it--when it is highlighted press enter to launch.
No need for mousing or clicking at all. Your fingers never leave the keyboard. Much faster
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Thats right. There are many ways to do that.

There is a cool applet for the panel called desktop which I have there because it is a very colorful icon at least with the custom icons I now have.. Still, its function is useful to show the desktop. If the desktop had all your icon links showing then a single click on the panel icon would display them no matter how many active windows are up.

The desktop settings are accessed in "Desktop" desktop layout which turns icons on or off. I place the Desktop (settings) on my small dock and then a very quick 4 clicks will display the icons and then minimize "Desktop". The reverse is also just 4 clicks. Do this just a few times and it is quite fast

A copy of any desktop icon can be dragged to a dock too. I keep a minimal dock on the bottom with my preferences.

Note that the desktop icon and the Show Desktop icon are identical.

Someday there will be a one click toggle for the desktop icons. Waiting...

Last edited by Ozo on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

EDIT: I now use a dock (Plank) and Workspaces with a stripped down panel and menu. See photo. Sometimes I open desktop but not often. Same with the panel.

The menu is large because I use Double Scale.

Workspaces

Stripped down panel (on left), and stripped down Menu, dock is on the bottom.

Last edited by Ozo on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

This desktop alternative is evolving into a very usable and enjoyable tool. I arranged the icons into groups of similar icons which helps to quickly locate one.

A bonus is that when the Desktop (settings) icon is placed in the upper right it is in the same spot as the place to click on to toggle the icon view. To toggle click the Desktop (settings ) icon. The cursor is in the right area to change the view and close it (Desktop (settings) in three quick clicks. This makes it even easier to hide the icons. It still takes 4 clicks to show them.

I just realized that since I am using double scale and your view is quite different in normal scale so this may not make much sense to you. Makes much more sense on a big screen in double scale.

Note: 1. These are the default icons of 18.3 Sylvia..
..........2. These icons are in normal size not large (double scale).

CLICK TO ENLARGE
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Here it is trimmed down and hand placed along the bottom. This is a better format if the icons are to stay on the desktop.

The icons are aligned to the grid but can still be moved around and still can be kept in line.

Ten icons are plenty and with fewer icons the size of those remaining is larger.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I like the desktop icon dock but have reverted to Plank as it works better. Also those icons have titles which is unnecessary. I like Docky but Plank does not have an icon for interface which is much better.. Check out how clean the panel is now.

The exact same thing is in Favorites on the Menu Panel but the icons are not large enough for my application even in double scale. Also it can not be left open like a dock.

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I have settled on this configuration after some trials.

1. Panel on the left, stripped.
2. Plank Dock on the bottom.
3. Workspaces enabled.

The panel and dock are automatically hidden. No desktop clock as it is on the dock (docklet). The power options are a panel applet.

Active programs do not stack up on the panel but are located in Workspaces. Click a dock launcher to toggle it. Click an empty Workspace to open it. It is kinda like when things were minimized to the panel but now they are minimized to Workspaces where their thumbnails can be viewed.

Notice the nearly empty panel (on left) when multiple programs are active in Workspaces.

Return to “Software & Applications”