Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fiduggin67
Level 1
Level 1

Best method to clone my hard drive

Post by Fiduggin67 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 am

Hello

I have Mint 18.3 installed on an ancient Toshiba Equium A210 and I am purchasing a SSD to replace the slow hard drive and upgrading the RAM to 4GB. I am hoping that will be enough to give me good performance, not that it is that bad now, but apps open (particularly broswers) pretty slowly and lag a little sometimes.

My question is: When I am cloning the hard drive to transfer it to the new SSD, what is the best method to do this, the dd comand via a live DVD running, or an application like Clonezilla? I've never done this and would like it to go as smooth as possible because I will be doing it with other computers in the house later on. If the asnswer is via a live DVD, which live distro contains an app for this purpose already installed?

Many thanks for any answers

Bob
Last edited by Moem on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a distracting/confusing typo
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Best method to clone my hard drive

Post by WharfRat » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:55 am

Fiduggin67,

I've always used dd for this purpose without any problems.

If you were cloning sda to sdb then sudo dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4M status=progress && sync would do it from the live media

Just be careful that you have the device designations correct and no partitions are mounted :wink:
ImageImage

Fiduggin67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fiduggin67 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 am

Thank you so much. That is what I had planned originally, but someone suggested a cloning might be better. I am assuming that this will make the SSB bootable once installed since it is a clone of the original drive.

Thanks again

Bob

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am

Fiduggin67 wrote:Many thanks for any answers
Not to dissuade you from using dd, but I always have used Clonezilla Live for making my hard drive images. It only copies the used blocks (so it's faster than dd), and it verifies the resulting image as well.

Joe

asinoro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asinoro » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 am

This method is my friend for years. When you use dd you clone the partition or drive.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=263879&p=1431032&h ... o#p1430626

Fiduggin67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fiduggin67 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 am

JoeFootball wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:07 am
Fiduggin67 wrote:Many thanks for any answers
Not to dissuade you from using dd, but I always have used Clonezilla Live for making my hard drive images. It only copies the used blocks (so it's faster than dd), and it verifies the resulting image as well.

Joe
Thanks, I didn't know that. Does it support ext4. I read about some that only support ext3.

Bob

donalduck
Level 3
Level 3

Post by donalduck » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:23 am

+1 for clonezilla

I just used it some weeks ago for an old laptop with remote mode. that is to say the new disk was on my local network and I had one clonezilla live distrib on one usb key.
process was completed smoothly in 6 hours, for a ~320GB HDD ...
pay attention at the begining of the process if you want to use remote/distant cloning.

but for me best brainless method is to use a 2-bay external hard disk duplicator device (cost about 20~30$)(didn't use it this time because I didn't want to disassemble my hdd laptop this time, just backup).
Last edited by donalduck on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 am

I recently did this, transferring from an old 120 GB drive to a newer 250 GB laptop drive. All I did was use GParted to copy the old partitions into larger partitions. I then used Grub Repair program on it and all was fine. This was done on a 32 bit version of Mint.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Marziano » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

My apologies to OP for putting forward my own question. It is related to the topic so I found it unnecessary to open a new one.
There is a vesrion (3.10.11-3) of Clonezilla available via Synaptic. I just wondered, if installed in a LM live medium, will that be as good as the one you burn into a USB?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:28 am

Fiduggin67 wrote:Does it support ext4.
Indeed it does support ext4, and much more. From the Clonezilla website...
Clonezilla wrote:Many File systems are supported: (1) ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs, btrfs, f2fs and nilfs2 of GNU/Linux, (2) FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS of MS Windows, (3) HFS+ of Mac OS, (4) UFS of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, (5) minix of Minix, and (6) VMFS3 and VMFS5 of VMWare ESX. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Minix, VMWare ESX and Chrome OS/Chromium OS, no matter it's 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS.
Joe

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am

Marziano wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am
My apologies to OP for putting forward my own question. It is related to the topic so I found it unnecessary to open a new one.
Please post a new topic for your new question. We've been over this.
If you're doing something you feel the need to apologise for, there is a good chance it's something you should not be doing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JoeFootball » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:37 am

Marziano wrote:I just wondered, if installed in a LM live medium, will that be as good as the one you burn into a USB?
If you're speaking to the version that's in the repositories vs. the latest version from the Clonezilla, I'd like to think so. I've used Clonezilla for years, and it's always accomplished what I needed it to do. Regardless, here is its changelog for assessing your own requirements.

Otherwise, whether it runs from Linux Mint live session or a Clonezilla Live session shouldn't make any difference.

Joe

Marziano
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Marziano » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:42 am

Moem wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:33 am
Marziano wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am
Please post a new topic for your new question. We've been over this.
If you're doing something you feel the need to apologise for, there is a good chance it's something you should not be doing.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
For a yes or no question I find it unnecessary to open a new topic. Besides the question might be interesting to OP as well. If the one in Synaptic does the job, there is no need for downloading etc, etc.

Anyhow, if you feel that it is inappropriate you could:

Code: Select all

sudo remove --purge 
it :wink:
But please don't lecture me. I was being polite to the OP.

Edit: interestingly this was my post 666 :twisted:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54 am

Fiduggin67 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:24 am
Hello

I have Mint 18.3 installed on an ancient Toshiba Equium A210 and I am purchasing a SSD to replace the slow hard drive and upgrading the RAM to 4GB. I am hoping that will be enough to give me good performance, not that it is that bad now, but apps open (particularly broswers) pretty slowly and lag a little sometimes.

My question is: When I am cloning the hard drive to transfer it to the new SSD, what is the best method to do this, the dd comand via a live DVD running, or an application like Clonezilla? I've never done this and would like it to go as smooth as possible because I will be doing it with other computers in the house later on. If the asnswer is via a live DVD, which live distro contains an app for this purpose already installed?

Many thanks for any answers

Bob
I prefer Gparted. Copy the partitions one at a time to the other drive and you end up with an exact copy. Make sure you copy your swap partition also!
I have read that it is best to leave a bit of the SSD free, no partition, for longevity of the SSD. I forget why.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:34 am

Copy the partitions one at a time to the other drive and you end up with an exact copy.
I would add, since often we move from smaller to larger hard drives, you CAN copy a smaller partition to a larger partition and have full use then of that extra space.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Fiduggin67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fiduggin67 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks Everyone for all the replies.

I think I have a pretty idea now what to do. One thing I am also considering is just backing up my home folder (I haven't done a lot of configuration on this install) and just installing fresh.

Thanks again

Bob

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Fiduggin67 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:07 pm
Thanks Everyone for all the replies.

I think I have a pretty idea now what to do. One thing I am also considering is just backing up my home folder (I haven't done a lot of configuration on this install) and just installing fresh.

Thanks again

Bob
good thought.
I prefer fresh installs if I have the time, you get rid of lots of cruft.
Actually if you copy only the data files from your /home later it is cleaner still... that way you don't have the cruft in the dot files and folders (settings).
I do copy over .thunderbird and .mozilla and .luckyBackup and .conkyrc and maybe a couple others that actually contain data that I do want to keep... the remainder is system specific.

Return to “Software & Applications”