Dependency problems installing browser SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
69Rixter

Dependency problems installing browser SOLVED

Post by 69Rixter »

(linuxmint 17.3 Mate(live)) SOLVED

I've tried to install both Google Chrome & Opera(51) via terminal and both are reporting errors concerning dependencies. I had deleted Firefox and, again, am not able to retrieve it(install). Hmm...trouble with 17.3 or is there something I need to do prior to installing any of these browsers?
Scratching Head in Central Ohio:
:twisted: Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Dependency problems installing browser

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Whenever I install apps via the Terminal, if there are dependency problems, the Terminal will usually list them. So, I install all the listed dependencies, and most times, that does the trick.
Had that issue yesterday installing BitDefender for someone running LM Cinnamon 18.3 64-bit. I installed the missing dependency listed, and off it went.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Could you reproduce the error messages you get?

Edit: the suggestion by previous poster should certainly do the trick.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

https://puolanka.info/goto/opera-51-ins ... d-systems/
It seems that new Opera has a dependency problem with libdbus-1-3 in the DEBIAN/control file. Opera 51 installation fix is to edit that file by removing (>= 1.9.14) after libdbus-1-3 and then build a new package. An example about building the fixed package:

1. Extract an original package

2. Edit DEBIAN/control file

3. Build a fixed package from a edited package

sudo chown root:root -R build-folder

An example:

sudo chown root:root -R opera-stable_51.0.2830.55_amd64

sudo dpkg -b build-folder fixed.deb

An example:

sudo dpkg -b opera-stable_51.0.2830.55_amd64 opera-stable_51.0.2830.55_amd64-fixed.deb
69Rixter

Post by 69Rixter »

EVERYONE:

I don't get to do this often, but I'm going to answer my own question. This is the way I got the latest version Opera installed. D/l latest Opera .deb > Open terminal: sudo gdebi > drag and drop .deb file > Enter...then sit back and wait for prompt (if any) and follow directions. Somehow, this satisfied all the dependency issues. For further instructions: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_tiLbJ5t0 This was too easy.

Another Day...Another Dollar.....in debt!!!

P.S. I know i've asked before...How to you mark thread "solved"?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

69Rixter wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 pm EVERYONE:

I don't get to do this often, but I'm going to answer my own question. This is the way I got the latest version Opera installed. D/l latest Opera .deb > Open terminal: sudo gdebi > drag and drop .deb file > Enter...then sit back and wait for prompt (if any) and follow directions. Somehow, this satisfied all the dependency issues. For further instructions: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_tiLbJ5t0 This was too easy.

Another Day...Another Dollar.....in debt!!!

P.S. I know i've asked before...How to you mark thread "solved"?
If you install Opera 51 to Mint 17 that way, it causes a dependency problem due libdbus-1-3 and you have one broken package (Opera). You need to make a fixed installation package first. :wink:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

69Rixter wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:57 pm P.S. I know i've asked before...How to you mark thread "solved"?
Edit your first post at the top of the thread by clicking the pencil icon, then modify the subject line with {SOLVED] and submit.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Software & Applications”