Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Solved (quickly!) - Firefox browser preferences question

Post by felemur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I use Firefox 58 and Chrome 65. I actually really like the new Firefox, but one thing bothers me - I get more viewing area on Chrome as the tabs on Chrome touch the top of the screen, whereas Firefox wastes that bit at the top above the tabs.

Chrome:
Screenshot from 2018-03-13 17-25-43.png
Firefox:
Screenshot from 2018-03-13 17-24-56.png

Is there any way to configure Firefox to have the tabs touch the top like Chrome and get to have that space added to the viewing area?
Last edited by felemur on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox browser preferences question

Post by MScott » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Chrome looks "maximized" (not fullscreen) - what happens when you click "maximize" in Firefox?

In FF 56, when I click "maximize" this is what I get, the tab goes right up to my taskbar...
ff56max.png
This might be a better pic...
ff56max2.png
Last edited by MScott on Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still using Windows, testing in progress to determine if I can completely move over to Linux Mint and not lose any software or hardware needs. I'm very hopeful Mint will be my next OS.

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Can't say for sure, but it looks like it could be a design/programmed feature. Chrome appears to put its tabs on the window border while Firefox does not encroach on that space. If this be the case then the tradeoff would probably be that Firefox can display more tabs since Chrome would run out of room when it gets to the window controls. Open 10-12 tabs in each browser (making sure you open the same sites in the same order) and see what you get. I'm interested in your test results so let us know.

MScott has a good point about whether both are full-screened, or maximized, or both, or neither. They must be in the same state in order to have a valid comparison.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm

I just checked, they are both maxed. When I click the middle button, they both go small to a size I choose, but when the screenshot was taken they were both full screened.

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:56 pm

I run Nightly (which by the way is actually surprisingly stable). There is an option to remove the title bar, if that is what you are looking for:
Firefox.png
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 pm

Yes, that IS what I'm looking for - thanks Marziano. I'll switch to the nightly build right away :D

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:02 pm

Click on the three horizontal lines at top right--> customize--> at bottom left: toggle off title bar
:D
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solved (quickly!) - Firefox browser preferences question

Post by MScott » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Excellent, you got an answer.

I was gonna say there's gotta be a tweak or about:config setting, no need to run an change versions :)
Still using Windows, testing in progress to determine if I can completely move over to Linux Mint and not lose any software or hardware needs. I'm very hopeful Mint will be my next OS.

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Solved (quicly!) :D
That's nice!
Ciao!
Groucho { Marx

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 pm

MScott wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 pm
Excellent, you got an answer.

I was gonna say there's gotta be a tweak or about:config setting, no need to run an change versions :)
You may be right, but I've looked all over and have not found a way to make the change. I don't mind switching to the nightly build as long as it's stable. However, if somebody knows how to make the change on the stable version I'd love to hear it.

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm

If I am not mistaken the option was already present in Nightly 59. So the next release of the Stable, will most probably have it.
Groucho { Marx

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Marziano wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm
If I am not mistaken the option was already present in Nightly 59. So next release of the Stable, will most probably have it.
That makes sense. It's actually a good option. Obviously I wasn't the only person who wanted that real estate back! I'll check out the nightly for now.

I actually use Chrome for my Gmail and my Google Calendar and a couple other Google things, and I've been using the Chrome beta for quite a while now and have never had a problem.

For non-Google related things I like to use Firefox. It's the switching back and forth between the two where I realized that I actually appreciated having the extra real estate with chrome.

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 pm

That's nice! Me too switch back and forth between Chrome and Firefox. But for the sake of consistency, I run Chrome-Unstable :D
Actually, no problem with it either.
Groucho { Marx

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Marziano wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 pm
That's nice! Me too switch back and forth between Chrome and Firefox. But for the sake of consistency, I run Chrome-Unstable :D
Actually, no problem with it either.
Life on the edge with the unstable! Well to paraphrase Nietzsche, "One must still have chaos in one's browser to be able to give birth to a dancing star." :wink:

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:04 am

felemur wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:49 pm
Life on the edge with the unstable! Well to paraphrase Nietzsche, "One must still have chaos in one's browser to be able to give birth to a dancing star." :wink:
You got it! Cheers to dancing stars :D
Ciao!
Groucho { Marx

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MScott » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 am

Out of curiosity I installed Firefox 58.0.2 portable and looked to see what else could be done. In "Customize Firefox" unchecking Title Bar gives back some space, also, under "Density" selecting "Compact" shrinks the tab height just a scosh more.

Just some FYI :)

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am

MScott wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 am
Out of curiosity I installed Firefox 58.0.2 portable and looked to see what else could be done. In "Customize Firefox" unchecking Title Bar gives back some space, also, under "Density" selecting "Compact" shrinks the tab height just a scosh more.

Just some FYI :)
Thanks for that. I found using the "compact" did give me a little bit more viewing real estate. However, I can't find the first one you mention. I'm not sure what Firefox portable is, but maybe the standard Firefox does not have this option?

MScott
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MScott » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:03 pm

felemur wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:53 am
MScott wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:49 am
<snip>...<snip>
Thanks for that. I found using the "compact" did give me a little bit more viewing real estate. However, I can't find the first one you mention. I'm not sure what Firefox portable is, but maybe the standard Firefox does not have this option?
Hiding the title bar and making the tabs compact are both found in Customize - (click the Open menu) thingy in the upper right corner of Ff, below Close(x) and a new Customize Firefox tab will open. Uncheck the box next to Title Bar, and select Compact for Density.

Btw, the new tabs are only 76 pixels wide versus 100 in older versions, should you care. The change can be made in about:config.
browser.tabs.tabminwidth
Default: 76
Modified: 100, 125, 150 -- don't go too crazy

Double click the integer 76 under Value, when the dialog pops up edit the value, click OK to close the dialog, close the about:config tab. You might need to close Ff then reopen before the changes take place. Again, you may not care just some FYI :)

Oh, I thought someone already mentioned hiding the title bar, that's why in an earlier post I had said "you got an answer".

I hope all is well with you and your tech exploits are fruitful :D

Sorry, I forgot to mention, Firefox portable is simply the PortableApps version of Firefox. I prefer portable apps either natively or via some sort of wrapper if I can fine em -> https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Last edited by MScott on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

felemur
Level 4
Level 4

Post by felemur » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 pm

I don't have a "Title" bar option, but I do have a "Menu" bar option. I'm thinking that is what you mean. I turned it off, and did get more space.

The size of the tabs is fine for me.

Thanks for your help.

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 am

I use two methods and can eat my cake at the same time.

I run FF with a full menu showing all the time, but like a lot of folks, when just causally reading stuff, I want a full screen.

I have customized the title bar to hold the Double Edge Arrow pointing upper right/lower down.
with that, you can easily go Full Screen and FF takes up the entire visible screen the "webstuff".

Mouse up to the top of the screen, and FF will drop the title bar down and you click on the double edged arrows gain, and it returns to "normal mode" :D

Return to “Software & Applications”