mate-terminal and vte rebuild

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spuhpointer
Level 1
Level 1

mate-terminal and vte rebuild

Post by spuhpointer »

Hi Folks,

I see that there is problem with mate-terminal. If you copy some text either by shift+ctr+c or by "Copy on select" feature, it feels like the text is put in select buffer only and not the primary (normal ctrl+c buffer). Thus if you select some text in say xed or kate, the copy which should be in primary buffer is lost. Thus I want to investigate this and offer some patch.... BUT

I was able to to build mate-terminal from sources (by apt-get source mate-terminal) and version I got is:
- mate-terminal-1.18.2

but seems like I need also changes in vte library, but when I do apt-get source vte, it downloads vte-0.28.2, however mate-terminal is linking to -lvte-2.91

So question is, how can I get vte-2.91 library to build on my pc?

I am on mint mate 18.3, 64bit.

Thanks for help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: mate-terminal and vte rebuild

Post by Hoser Rob »

You'd probably need to remove the conflicting library, which may be needed by something else. This is why beginners are advised to stay away from compilling and building software. Too much potential for breakiing the OS, and they wont't know how to fix it.

My main question, though, is why go to this much effiort when there are so many Linux terminalls available?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
spuhpointer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mate-terminal and vte rebuild

Post by spuhpointer »

Hi, I am developer, so want to fix the terminal. I introduced "Copy on select" feature in mate-terminal, and now want to maintain it so that all looks. I all day spend in terminal and mate-terminal is one that I love most.

So if anybody could give me instructions how to rebuild vte and link to mate-terminal an 18.3, that would grate!!!! Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”