Alternative email server [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Alternative email server [SOLVED]

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi Moem,
Thanks for your thoughts. I’m glad someone else has similar opinions of the “Big G” organisation I was beginning to think it was just me being paranoid.
Your comment about Enigmail, are you in favour of, or casting dubiousness about it being free?.
I was worried when downloading Enigmail and getting this message:-
Permissions

Some add-ons ask for permission to perform certain functions. Since you’re in control of your Firefox, the choice to grant or deny these requests is yours.
Please note this add-on uses legacy technology, which gives it access to all browser functions and data without requesting your permission.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm using Enigmail in SeaMonkey Mail (very similar to Thunderbird) since years, and it's never given me reason to worry. You can also find it in the Software Manager.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
solarmax

Post by solarmax »

I use GMX for casual emails and for several subscription sites and I cannot fault it. Give it a try.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pheeble »

There is another email provider that seems to be unpopular these days: Yahoo. I don't use it for anything particularly important, but there is one thing about Yahoo that I really like: Using a Yahoo email account, I can create up to 500 disposable email addresses that are not simply a variation of my main email address. This is great when it's necessary to provide an email address to a business or web site and I'm concerned the address will be used to send me spam. I create an email address specifically for that interaction, and I can later delete it. My main email address is never exposed so I don't get an increasing deluge of junk email.
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Thanks to all respondents.

Think I might go for Enigmail AND Veracrypt to protect more important Data
Thanks everyone,

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox

Return to “Software & Applications”