[SOLVED] Import media from iPhone ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED] Import media from iPhone ?

Post by wallyUSA »

UPDATE MARCH 28 - SPOILER ALERT:

Looks like pcloud will work for me. Thanks for all the suggestions. :D

---
I plug my iPhone into lappy using USB cable. Lappy recognizes iPhone.

Says media has photos.
phone 01 a.png

I try the pix import tool.

phone 01 b.png

Tool says could not import files. ??

phone 02.png

Am I missing a step or should I use a different tool?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Import media from iPhone ?

Post by AndyMH »

I have tried and failed to get my iphone to talk to mint, short answer Apple doesn't give a damn about linux. The only solutions I've found are:
  • Install itunes, which will then install the relevant drivers. This of course means windows. As I've got win7 running in virtualbox because I need office for work - not a problem other than I don't like using windows and use it as little as possible.
  • Dump your iphone in favour of an android phone - which is what I have just done.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@AndyMH:

I do not want any form of M$ stuff on my Lappy. Do not want Android phone (not yet at least).

My workaround for now is to use the 'sneaker net' from my wife's W10.

Thanks for your reply. :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

in order to retrieve anything from your iPhone,
then you should be able to manually browse the subdirectories of that iPhone,
& if you can't do that,, then the import function may not work either.

sometimes, you can get lucky & can manually browse / copy those pictures from your device,
& even when that import function isn't working properly.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Pierre wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am in order to retrieve anything from your iPhone,
then you should be able to manually browse the subdirectories of that iPhone,
& if you can't do that,, then the import function may not work either.

sometimes, you can get lucky & can manually browse / copy those pictures from your device,
& even when that import function isn't working properly.
Any idea how to disable the import tool? :?:

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

basically you don't - - it may work on other Gadgets,, so you would require it to keep working,
& so you would manually copy those pictures onto your main HDD,,
or in my case,, onto a dedicated Pictures HDD - - which is getting rather full, with all of those Digital Pic's.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Pierre wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 am basically you don't - - it may work on other Gadgets,, so you would require it to keep working,
& so you would manually copy those pictures onto your main HDD,,
or in my case,, onto a dedicated Pictures HDD - - which is getting rather full, with all of those Digital Pic's.
Nothing shows up in the manual browse.

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

in which case, you then can't manually surf the iPhone
:(
it happens, & it's a royal PiTA - - you then have to look to alternative methods:
- sdCard, maybe, if the iPhone supports that, & they generally don't.
running Windows in a VB dedicated for just this reason - - had to this with my TomTom, for a while.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Pierre wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:12 am in which case, you then can't manually surf the iPhone
:(
it happens, & it's a royal PiTA - - you then have to look to alternative methods:
- sdCard, maybe, if the iPhone supports that, & they generally don't.
running Windows in a VB dedicated for just this reason - - had to this with my TomTom, for a while.
Don't want anything to do with M$! I have Ubuntu in VB. Maybe it would browse the iPhone? So far Ubuntu does not recognize the USB connected iPhone.

Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

then you have to go even further sideways:
libimobiledevice
A cross-platform software protocol library and tools to communicate with iOS® devices natively.
http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
and that's not exactly straight-forward, either.

yet, other methods seem to requite JailBreaking the iPhone
:eek:

sometimes, this Guy, is really usefull:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-iphone-6.html
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Pierre wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:33 am then you have to go even further sideways:
libimobiledevice
A cross-platform software protocol library and tools to communicate with iOS® devices natively.
http://www.libimobiledevice.org/
and that's not exactly straight-forward, either.

yet, other methods seem to requite JailBreaking the iPhone
:eek:

sometimes, this Guy, is really usefull:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-iphone-6.html
WOW :!: i will have think about that one.

Thanks for the info.

Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've been pondering this same question, as my mother wants to be able to import photos from her iPhone without having to use Windows, and the tutorials I've read make libimobiledevice sound pretty unreliable, especially when it comes to Apple forcing iOS updates.

One possible method I haven't seen much coverage of is using FTP. Perhaps if you install an FTP client app on the iPhone and run an FTP server on Mint, you could upload your photos over WiFi? I need to do more research on iOS FTP clients, as ideally any such app would be able to sync photos with Mint just as easily as connecting the phone over USB with Windows.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Aleron Ives wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am I've been pondering this same question, as my mother wants to be able to import photos from her iPhone without having to use Windows, and the tutorials I've read make libimobiledevice sound pretty unreliable, especially when it comes to Apple forcing iOS updates.

One possible method I haven't seen much coverage of is using FTP. Perhaps if you install an FTP client app on the iPhone and run an FTP server on Mint, you could upload your photos over WiFi? I need to do more research on iOS FTP clients, as ideally any such app would be able to sync photos with Mint just as easily as connecting the phone over USB with Windows.
Interesting idea! Keep us posted. I will try when I can & post results. :?:

wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

I was able to get pictures imported from iPhone 7 using ubuntu 16.04 in a VBox.

Info was found in YouTube: "Using the iPhone 7 with Ubuntu 16.04".

Here's screen shot of the PPA to add (at your own risk!)
add ppa for iphone.png
I will try to do it in Cinnamon tomorrow (ran out of time today).

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wallyUSA,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 Using the Libimobiledevice PPA. I would be interested in knowing if this works.

FYI-1: Another simple option is to signup for and then install a free or paid for cloud storage software client from "pCloud", "Mega.nz", etc... on all your computers, phones, tablets, etc... Then tell the cloud storage sync software client on each device to sync the folders where you store your multimedia files (pictures, videos, music, etc...) on each device with your cloud account folders of the same name. All your multimedia files (pictures, videos, music, etc...) from all devices with the cloud sync client active will automatically be available on all your devices within minutes or less. This also has the advantage in that those files will be backed up on your cloud storage account as well. Cloud storage accounts are perfectly safe, just use good passwords for your logins. You could also create specific folders on the Cloud account for each device to sync with and sync each device to their specific folder which may help to organize and to identify where the files came from, like "iPhone-Wife", "My-iPhone", "Samsung-Phone", "Android Tablet", "Wife-iPad", "LinuxMint18", etc.. You and your wife could also have separate Cloud accounts.

FYI-2: I think "Dukto" is available on all computers, phones, tablets, etc... which can easily transfer files.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

phd21 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:35 pm Hi wallyUSA,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 Using the Libimobiledevice PPA. I would be interested in knowing if this works.

Same procedure in Cinnamon did not work - all that happened is "Starting Import, please wait"
starting import.png

FYI-2: I think "Dukto" is available on all computers, phones, tablets, etc... which can easily transfer files.

This sounds like what I need, I'll try it.

FYI-1: Cloud storage - (I'll use this as my last restore).

Hope this helps ...

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wallyUSA,
wallyUSA wrote:This (Dukto) sounds like what I need, I'll try it.

FYI-1: Cloud storage - (I'll use this as my last restore).

"Dukto" is easy to use.
Dukto R6 - Networking Tools - Downloads - Tech Advisor
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/download/ ... 6-3328925/

And the Cloud option, once it is installed and configured, is even easier and more efficient. Why would you consider this as a "last resort"?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

While I no longer care, in the sense that I handed by my company iphone on Monday and am now happily using an android phone, I can recommend the cloud option. I use pcloud, free within limits:

https://pcloud.com

Think they are based in Switzerland.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

phd21 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:31 am
Cloud storage - (I'll use this as my last restore).

And the Cloud option, once it is installed and configured, is even easier and more efficient. Why would you consider this as a "last resort"?

Hope this helps ...
I should have said 3rd choice, not "last resort".

Tried to use DropBox originally but could not get it to work. But now I am much older (6 months) & wiser so I should try it again. Or maybe the 'pcloud'.

Dukto seems simple (installed on iphone & LMC already). But maybe it is too elementary.

I just need time to play with (test) it.

Thanks for the suggestions :!:

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wallyUSA,

You are welcome...

Dropbox is great, but they only offer a measly 2gb of free storage, and over the past couple years, their Linux software client has had some issues which I do not know if they have fixed.

I have free accounts on the excellent cloud storage providers "pCloud" (10gb free) and "Mega.nz" (50gb free & free encryption) which have excellent cloud sync software clients for all smartphones, tablets, and computer operating systems, including Linux.

I also have Google Drive accounts (15gb free for all Gmail users), but I do not know what Google Drive cloud software clients are available for other computer operating systems, or smartphones, or tablets. They do not offer a Linux client, although there are various working options for that. The "insync" client for Linux and Google Drive is superb but you have to pay a onetime fee for it.

"Dukto" is a great application too, just make sure you and whatever computers or devices that you want to transfer files with are running Dukto, then search for the user to connect with, then you can transfer files.

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Software & Applications”