Are all the updates necessary ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mercuzio
Level 3
Level 3

Are all the updates necessary ?

Post by Mercuzio »

Linux alerts about these updates: cinnamon-nemo , kernel 4.13.0-37.42-16.04.1 , linux-firmware , linux-libc-dev , mesa , ndiswrapper , systemd. Should I update all of them ? Could one of them be frighten ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: Are all the updates necessary ?

Post by WharfRat »

Mercuzio wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:44 pm Linux alerts about these updates: cinnamon-nemo , kernel 4.13.0-37.42-16.04.1 , linux-firmware , linux-libc-dev , mesa , ndiswrapper , systemd. Should I update all of them ? Could one of them be frighten ?
I've always done them all with no problems :wink:
Mercuzio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mercuzio »

The kernel too ?
Kyowash

Post by Kyowash »

Mercuzio wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:02 pm The kernel too ?
A kernel update is in most cases safe. Anyway, you shouldn't worry if something goes wrong, as you can always use an old kernel. Also, don't forget to backup important data regularly.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Personally, I haven't had any problems with those updates, kernels included. But for being on the safe side you could always make a backup of your system with an application like Timeshift.
Here are a couple of links for how to use it:
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/time ... ool-review

You could search the forums for Timeshift also.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kernels:

Be sure you have any special things like WiFi adapters installation files on hand.

Every time I update to a different kernel, my laptop looses all internet connectivity.

I hate updating kernels, it just makes my life miserable. :evil:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Mercuzio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mercuzio »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 pm Kernels:

Be sure you have any special things like WiFi adapters installation files on hand.

Every time I update to a different kernel, my laptop looses all internet connectivity.

I've been frighten about this
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

There's no need to be frightened of installing a newer kernel; you can always go back to the previous one if it doesn't work. But it's smart to learn how to boot from an earlier kernel, so if things go wrong you can do that and then remove the non-suitable kernel.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:32 pm Kernels:

If you set the update policy for the safest level does it still update the kernel?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Mercuzio wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:37 pm I've been frighten about this
If you create a snapshot of the system with TimeShift, you can in case, that something goes wrong, revert to the previous state of the system. Possibly TimeShift is already installed, but this depends from your unknown system. So here follows the usual reply:
What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? Which kernel and which architecture? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

We also need to know, if the current Mint version was a fresh installation or if it had been upgraded from an earlier one.

There is a famous quote from the famous movie "The good, the bad and the ugly". Adjusted for this case it goes: "There are 2 kind of users; the ones, who are frightened and the others, who use TimeShift".
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Code: Select all

inxi -Sz
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

We also need to know, if the current Mint version was a fresh installation or if it had been upgraded from an earlier one.

There is a famous quote from the famous movie "The good, the bad and the ugly". Adjusted for this case it goes: "There are 2 kind of users; the ones, who are frightened and the others, who use TimeShift".
I got a tickle out of that line, once you guys taught me to use that stuff, I am not afraid to tackle anything.
In addition to that, I have a full blown image stored if ever needed.

My only gripe is that for this particular laptop, a new kernel means that I have to reinstall the Internet drivers all over again.... and it does not go easy.

I have the latest version loaded and it still does not have WiFi available... and I have tried 3 times to use the same exact install methods as I have done before with success.....

at this point, I just don't care anymore, I will stay with
4.13.0-26-generic x86_64 (64 bit) - Cinnamon 3.6.7 - Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

for a long while before I get up enough mental energy to figure out what is wrong with version -36
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 pm My only gripe is that for this particular laptop, a new kernel means that I have to reinstall the Internet drivers all over again.
Not after reverting the system with a TimeShift snapshot.

Return to “Software & Applications”