[SOLVED] Caja does not remember 'Open with...' choices

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Caja does not remember 'Open with...' choices

Post by Pheeble »

I'm using Linux Mint Mate 18.3. If I right-click on a file in Caja, and select the 'Open with Other Application...' menu item, I get a list of installed applications to choose from. If I select an application, the file is opened in that application, but Caja doesn't remember my choice and add it to the menu's list of options, so I have to go through the 'Open with Other Application' each time.

For example, I have Geany installed and I want to open shell scripts in Geany, but the only options Caja provides are 'Open with LibreOffice Writer' and 'Open with Other Application...'. I keep using the 'Open with Other Application...' to open shell scripts in Geany but Caja doesn't display Geany as an option in the context menu for shell scripts. I have the checkbox checked to 'Remember this application for "shell script" files', but it isn't working.

Is there some other configuration setting I have to adjust to get this to work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Caja does not remember 'Open with...' choices

Post by Pheeble »

Hmm... after further testing it seems this is only an issue for some file types and applications.

Caja remembers Geany as an application for other file types, and it remembers other applications used to open shell scripts. I have no idea why the Geany/shell script combination would be so problematic.

I also discovered that I can't get Caja to remember any application used to open folders, such as using Xviewer or Pix to open a folder of images.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

If a script is executable then Geany will not be a context offering.
Perhaps the same for the apps you mention
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pheeble »

all41 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:37 pm If a script is executable then Geany will not be a context offering.
Perhaps the same for the apps you mention
Yes, you're right. I removed the executable permission and Geany was available as an option. I then checked the 'Properties' information for the shell script, and I realized that Geany was listed as the default application in the 'Open With' tab regardless of executable permissions. So it seems Caja over-rides my preference for executable shell scripts, but only for Geany. Caja is quite happy to open executable shell scripts with other applications such as LibreOffice Writer and GHex.

What has Caja got against Geany?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

My 18.3 MATE does indeed offer Geany as a choice for scripts whether executable or not.
This is contrary to my Mint 17.3 MATE, but I have a good work-around method there.

Try temporarily creating a new user in Control Center/Users and Groups, then log out and log back in as the new user and try it there.
New users get a fresh default set of config files.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Pheeble »

all41 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 pm My 18.3 MATE does indeed offer Geany as a choice for scripts whether executable or not.
This is contrary to my Mint 17.3 MATE, but I have a good work-around method there.

Try temporarily creating a new user in Control Center/Users and Groups, then log out and log back in as the new user and try it there.
Thanks, in following your suggestions I discovered what the problem is: Caja is inconsistent in the display of options in the context menu, and I was simulating two short planks.

I found that the new user's context menu for a shell script displays 'Open' if the shell script is executable, but displays 'Open With Geany' if the shell script is not executable, the same as I experienced in my own account.

I realized that this is due to the Caja setting in 'Preferences->Behaviour->Executable Text Files' being set to the default of 'Ask Each Time'. If that setting is changed to 'View executable files' then 'Open with Geany' is displayed in the context menu.

My excuse is that I have just started using Mate for the first time in a few years after switching from XFCE. It's not a good excuse, but it's all I've got so I'll stick with it until I think of a better one. :oops:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Caja does not remember 'Open with...' choices

Post by all41 »

Don't be hard on yourself.
You have learned from your experience--that is gain.
congrats
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Pheeble wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:28 pm
all41 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 pm My 18.3 MATE does indeed offer Geany as a choice for scripts whether executable or not.

Thanks, in following your suggestions I discovered what the problem is: Caja is inconsistent in the display of options in the context menu, and I was simulating two short planks.

I found that the new user's context menu for a shell script displays 'Open' if the shell script is executable, but displays 'Open With Geany' if the shell script is not executable, the same as I experienced in my own account.

I realized that this is due to the Caja setting in 'Preferences->Behaviour->Executable Text Files' being set to the default of 'Ask Each Time'. If that setting is changed to 'View executable files' then 'Open with Geany' is displayed in the context menu.

My excuse is that I have just started using Mate for the first time in a few years after switching from XFCE. It's not a good excuse, but it's all I've got so I'll stick with it until I think of a better one. :oops:

fwiw--on my 18.3 MATE installation I did not have to change caja/preferences/behaviour/executable text files
This is still set at default 'Ask each time' and Open with Geany is in the right-click context, and will open the script file for editing.
This is the enigma--what is different between them? Still 17.3 MATE will not offer Geany as context for any executable script.

Return to “Software & Applications”