Linux Mint - dnsmasq roadmap

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Forn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint - dnsmasq roadmap

Post by Forn »

Greetings from the forest!

I have a brief question concerning the version of dnsmasq that is included in Linux Mint: Will there be plans to include a more current version of dnsmasq in future releases? The current included version is 2.75, however according to http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/ ,the current version of dnsmasq is 2.78 I've been informed that dnsmasq 2.75 doesn't work properly in the FOG - https://fogproject.org/ - ..and that version 2.76 or higher is needed for proper functionality. Of course, Linux Mint will always be my OS of choice for just about everything and I would rather not be enticed to explore unfamiliar lands just because my part of the woods have a few older trees! :wink:

Can anyone shed some light for me?

Many thanks!

-Forn
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Less > More
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint - dnsmasq roadmap

Post by catweazel »

Forn wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 am Will there be plans to include a more current version of dnsmasq in future releases?

The current included version is 2.75, however according to http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/ ,the current version of dnsmasq is 2.78
That will come from the Ubuntu repos. Presumably you'll get at least 2.78-1 with Mint 19x because dnsmasq-base is at 2.78-1 in Ubuntu 17.10.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Forn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forn »

Thank you catweazel! Then I'll just be happy to bide my time until that release is ripe for the picking!

Also, my apologies for not mentioning it at the beginning of my post, a very Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and everyone! :mrgreen:
Less > More
papaneuf

Post by papaneuf »

I recently read an article at www.theregister.co.uk by lain Thomson regarding security issues with dnsmasq. To quote "Google security engineers have spotted not one, not two, but seven serious flaws in Dnsmasq, a fairly widely used DNS forwarder and DHCP server." "The worst bugs can be exploited over the network to execute malicious code on a vulnerable system and hijack it. Version 2.78, released today by developer Simon Kelley, has all the fixes you need, so you should be running that version." I am running LM18.1 and my version is 2.75 which is the latest in the Mint repository. Simon Kelley released 2.78 about last October, but it appears it is not in our repository. I have for years disabled dnsmasq on whatever version of linux I happened to be running, but I am curious if there is a reason it is not yet in our repository. Thanks for any insight.
Forn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forn »

Greetings papaneuf!

I upgraded to LM 19.1 Tessa when it became available and the output of dnsmasq -v on my system displays:

Dnsmasq version 2.79 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect inotify

This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
Dnsmasq is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or 3.

It also appears to me that the current version of dnsmasq is 2.80: http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/CHANGELOG

BTW - Thanks for checking back on this, I'd forgotten about it.
Less > More

Return to “Software & Applications”