Install LAMP or XAMPP and Wordpress - unable to install - help required [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
historygirllfc

Install LAMP or XAMPP and Wordpress - unable to install - help required [SOLVED]

Post by historygirllfc »

HI All,

So I have tried and failed to do this before but there must be people out there who have managed to do this.

I would like to install wordpress locally and just have a play with to try and learn how it works. However I am having issues... I first tried installing LAMP server a while ago think I then uninstalled it. Trying installing separately which but failed to get php to successfully install.

I attempted to remove this package with remove --purge and then autoremove to get rid and start again. I tried to install XAMPP again apache installed fine but when I try and access phpmyadmin it fails and just throws an error saying it doesn't exist. I have tried googling but most of what I found relates to ubuntu and/or remote server stuff nothing about installing it locally.

I have downloaded wordpress and looked at codex but had no luck... (I'm sure it wasn't this difficult on windows...)

So a couple of questions:

1. how do I remove everything and start again?
2. Should I use LAMP or XAMPP?
3. How do I get wordpress to work on linux? I tried changing the folder/file permissions on the folder containing XAMPP but just shows the plain file so php isn't installed correctly/configured properly.
4. I tried mysql server but as I have attempted to do this before there is a root password set but have no clue what it is can I reset it or do I need to delete and try again?

If anyone could me in the right direction I'd be most grateful because I'm clearly going wrong but I don't know enough to understand how and why.

So er.. help...

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: Install LAMP or XAMPP and Wordpress - unable to install - help required

Post by kukamuumuka »

historygirllfc wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:09 pm 1. how do I remove everything and start again?
https://puolanka.info/goto/apache-ja-ph ... int-18ssa/
To remove LAMP and PhpMyAdmin :

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl stop mysql
sudo systemctl stop apache2
sudo apt-get purge phpmyadmin mysql-server apache2
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get clean
If mysql-server remove hangs, run

sudo systemctl stop mysql
sudo dpkg -P mysql-server mysql-server-5.7
sudo apt-get autoremove
Installation:

sudo apt-get install apache2
sudo apt-get install mysql-server
sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
For privileges:

sudo usermod -a -G www-data your_username_here
sudo chgrp -R www-data /var/www/html
sudo chmod -R g+w /var/www/html
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

To remove XAMPP, delete its folder from /opt
historygirllfc

Post by historygirllfc »

HI there,

Thanks for the reply. I think I managed to install everything correctly however there is now an issue with permissions. I set the privileges as you suggested above, however I am now unable to save files in /www or /html folders which is where I need to add them to be able to run local files. So which bit do I need to change to fix this?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

historygirllfc wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:09 pm HI there,

Thanks for the reply. I think I managed to install everything correctly however there is now an issue with permissions. I set the privileges as you suggested above, however I am now unable to save files in /www or /html folders which is where I need to add them to be able to run local files. So which bit do I need to change to fix this?
The easies way is to use symbolic links from your $HOME directory. An example mysite1:

mkdir mysite1

sudo ln -s $HOME/mysite1 /var/www/html
Now you should have all permissions for that site.
historygirllfc

Post by historygirllfc »

Ah yeah duh symbolic links should have thought of that.

Sorted. Thanks!
berndv
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install LAMP or XAMPP and Wordpress - unable to install - help required [SOLVED]

Post by berndv »

Pahh, that was easy. I think for the first time ever things just worked as expected.
Could maybe someone update this tutorial https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/486
It's the first search engine hit with "Linux Mint LAMP" and seems to be very outdated.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Install LAMP or XAMPP and Wordpress - unable to install - help required [SOLVED]

Post by Moem »

berndv wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:01 pm Could maybe someone update this tutorial https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/486
It's the first search engine hit with "Linux Mint LAMP" and seems to be very outdated.
Maybe that will happen if someone contacts the person who wrote it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”