Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bigal
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit kernel update

Post by bigal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:27 pm

So here I am with a level 4 kernel update. My panel icon is blue, which under the new regime is apparently correct despite my 'Preferences' option is not to shew levels 4 or 5 updates.

In 'Update Manager View>Linux kernels' I have two kernels in the 4.13 series installed. 4.13.0.32 is shewn as 'Installed' and 4.13.36 is shewn as 'Active'.

The new kernel 'update' only shewed up a couple of days ago and I have been looking at it ever since and still do not understand. As a result I have three questions.
  • 1. According to the update my installed kernel is 4.13.0-37.42~16.04.1 and it is to be replaced with another version with exactly the same version number: 4.13.0-37.42~16.04.1. Is this an update or not, if it is why are the version numbers the same for both. To confuse even more and as noted above 4.13.0.37 is not shewn as installed in the View>Linux kennels list. I have looked at the change log for the 'New' version and understood absolutely nothing in it apart from the fact that it was instigated by 'Kleber Sacilotto de Souza <kleber.souza@canonical.com> Mon, 12 Feb 2018 11:28:27 +0100'. I cannot see why a kernel that is apparently not installed needs updating, especially to one with the same version number. Can someone explain please?
  • 2. Should I install this update or not? (And reboot to make it active)
  • 3. If I choose (after advice) not to install it (right click on it and select 'Ignore updates for this package') will this have any effect on future updates which I might need?
All of this started when all updates get shewn in update manager whether they are requested of not. Not much point having an shew or don't shew option if it is going to be overridden. Yes, I have another post about this subject and yes I have read a LOT about it but still do not understand the logic.
Last edited by bigal on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64 bit kernel update

Post by Schultz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm

It's weird that you're getting conflicting reports as to which kernel you are currently on. As far as that goes, have you tried a refresh of the Update Manager screen to see if that corrects the problem?

As far as updating goes, I've updated to the latest kernel and suffered no ill affects. The kernel update is a security update and I always install security updates. The general thinking is that staying within the kernel series (for you, 4.13) is usually safe. If it does give you problems, just boot into the older kernel via the grub menu.

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Schultz wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:44 pm
It's weird that you're getting conflicting reports as to which kernel you are currently on. As far as that goes, have you tried a refresh of the Update Manager screen to see if that corrects the problem?
Yes, I have refreshed it several times as there have been some updates in levels 3 and 3 as well.

I really do not understand what is going on and do not have the experiance to install then correct if there is a problem.

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Code: Select all

uname -r 
will tell you which kernel you are currently running.
For being on the safe side, you could always use an application like Timeshift to make a snapshot of your system before high level updates. In case anything goes wrong, you can revert the state of your system to the one prior to the updates. You can make an EXT4-partition on an external storage device for storing the snapshots.
For how to use Timeshift, please refer to:
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/time ... ool-review
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
For discussions on Timeshift, search the forums.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:12 pm

$ uname -r
4.13.0-36-generic

Which is exactly what Update Manager View>Linux kernels has already told me. So why is update manager telling me that there is an update to a kernel that I am not using?

Pheeble
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pheeble » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:21 pm

The 'uname -r' does not show the complete version information for the active kernel. Try 'uname -a' (and 'man uname' to check other uname options).

Looking in Synaptic and searching for 'linux-image' also shows that my installed version is '4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1'.

This can also be checked via dpkg to list all installed kernels - the third column shows the full version number:

dpkg --list | grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-4.10.0-38-generic               4.10.0-38.42~16.04.1                        amd64        Linux kernel image for version 4.10.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic               4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1                        amd64        Linux kernel image for version 4.13.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-extra-4.10.0-38-generic         4.10.0-38.42~16.04.1                        amd64        Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.10.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
ii  linux-image-extra-4.13.0-36-generic         4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1                        amd64        Linux kernel extra modules for version 4.13.0 on 64 bit x86 SMP
Are you sure you're not misunderstanding the 'Update Manager' display? The 'Name' column and the 'New Version' column both refer to the same available update, not to the installed version.
Screenshot at 2018-03-19 10-19-12.png
So it may be that Update Manager is offering to update your kernel from, say, 4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1 to 4.13.0-36.42~16.04.1. In my case the new kernel version is 4.13.0-37.42~16.04.1.

It is possible to configure Update Manager to include a column showing the old version number as well, by enabling the menu item 'View->Visible columns->Old version'. At least, that's how it works in Linux Mint Mate 18.3, I assume it's the same in Cinnamon.

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am

Yes Pheeble, I was misreading 'Update Manager' display as you suggested (diplomatically suggested – lol) and I see now that I was erroneously considering the 'Name' as the installed version. Thank you for pointing that out to me. Also thank you for the command line commands. I had not seen them before and promise I will try to remember them. I have added the old version column to update manager so that should help in the future.

This still leaves my original question, should I install this kernel but adds a supplementary question. If I do install this new kernel will my current active ones,

linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic 4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1
and

linux-image-extra-4.13.0-36-generic 4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1
be deleted? The implication from this and other posts is that they will not be deleted but I thought that I would ask, just to make sure.

By the way Marziano, I do have Timeshift installed and running but I have the feeling it only backs up my data drive not my system drive. I will have a look at that to make sure that I have a system back up as well. Thanks for the tip.

Marziano
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Marziano » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am

bigal wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am
This still leaves my original question, should I install this kernel but adds a supplementary question. If I do install this new kernel will my current active ones,

linux-image-4.13.0-36-generic 4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1
and

linux-image-extra-4.13.0-36-generic 4.13.0-36.40~16.04.1
be deleted? The implication from this and other posts is that they will not be deleted but I thought that I would ask, just to make sure.
Yes, you could install this new kernel. And no, the older ones won't be deleted. When you install a new kernel, the one with higher version number will be chosen by default at boot. The older ones would be pushed down under "Advanced Options" in the Grub boot menu. In case you will be experiencing any problem with the new kernel, you could always choose the older kernel to boot into and uninstall the new one.
By the way Marziano, I do have Timeshift installed and running but I have the feeling it only backs up my data drive not my system drive. I will have a look at that to make sure that I have a system back up as well. Thanks for the tip.
Actually, Timeshift, by default, will only backup your system drive.
TimeShift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.
source: http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html
You can also specify filters to include or exclude files or directories from the snapshots. TimeShift is designed to protect system files and settings. User data such as documents, pictures and music are excluded by default. This prevents you from overwriting your documents when you restore a snapshot or using all of your storage to backup media (pictures, music, and video) files. But you can change this using the Filters option in Settings.
source: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/time ... ool-review
By default, Timeshift will store it's snapshots in /. Since they will grow in size, the more snapshots you will be making, personally, I think it is a good idea to keep them on an external device (or another data partition you might have on your drive). You will need then an ext4-formatted partition for that.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." -Marx...
Groucho { Marx

bigal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bigal » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Actually, Timeshift, by default, will only backup your system drive.
That just goes to shew how much of an ignoramus I am.

I will explore BackInTime. It appears that TimeVault is not being maintained at present

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeVault
Yes, you could install this new kernel. And no, the older ones won't be deleted. When you install a new kernel, the one with higher version number will be chosen by default at boot. The older ones would be pushed down under "Advanced Options" in the Grub boot menu. In case you will be experiencing any problem with the new kernel, you could always choose the older kernel to boot into and un-install the new one.
I will install the new kernel just prior to my next boot and see what happens.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will mark this thread as [Solved]

Return to “Software & Applications”