Before you post please read how to get help
stushug
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox icon

Post by stushug » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:54 pm

SOLVED!
It looks like I fixed it!
I right-clicked the icon, then clicked on properties. Then I clicked on the icon. Then I navigated to /usr/lib/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/
I chose default48.png (that is the default size used by the installer) and the icon is back on the desktop, proper size. It is also able to be resized by a right click and dragging a blue square. I made it very large, then clicked Restore Icon's Original Size and that worked. I also restored the icon when I made it really small. I restarted my computer and everything is still working. That was on my desktop machine. I then performed the same fix on my laptop and it worked perfectly.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 pm

stushug wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm
I think the problem is with the icon itself. I changed it to a random picture I had on my drive and it went back to the proper size. I was also able to right click and resize the picture no problem.
Yeh. There are multiple images of firefox on the system. Just do a console command, locate firefox.png, and pick one from /usr/share/icons.

==================================================

Advanced info (don't read if you don't need it).

There does seem to be some std on how icons are found.
I haven't found a way to answer the question yet, which icon is the .desktop file using when the path isn't absolute.
Icon= - Icon to display in file manager, menus, etc. If the name is an absolute path, the given file will be used. If the name is not an absolute path, the algorithm described in the Icon Theme Specification will be used to locate the icon.
By default, apps should look in $HOME/.icons (for backwards compatibility), in $XDG_DATA_DIRS/icons and in /usr/share/pixmaps (in that order). Applications may further add their own icon directories to this list, and users may extend or change the list (in application/desktop specific ways).In each of these directories themes are stored as subdirectories. A theme can be spread across several base directories by having subdirectories of the same name. This way users can extend and override system themes

stushug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by stushug » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:49 pm

Yeh. There are multiple images of firefox on the system. Just do a console command, locate firefox.png, and pick one from /usr/share/icons.

/usr/share/icons did not contain any of the round icons, only the square versions. The only place I could find the round ones was /usr/lib/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:46 am

Thank you to Cosmo, lmuserx4849 and, of course, stushug. Firefox icon now back to normal size!
Attachments
firefox-icon-solved.jpg
firefox-icon-solved.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 180 times

Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox icon SOLVED

Post by Maik » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am

Ah, now, if I revert back to square icons the Firefox icon remains as a round icon. That's not a problem for me but thought I'd mention it.
Attachments
firefox-sqare-round.jpg
firefox-sqare-round.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 175 times

stushug
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Firefox icon SOLVED

Post by stushug » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 am

Maik wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:09 am
Ah, now, if I revert back to square icons the Firefox icon remains as a round icon. That's not a problem for me but thought I'd mention it.
I guess it's only half solved, I just tried the square icons and had the same result. My solution got back the round icon, but doesn't solve the underlying problem. Oh well, maybe someone will figure it out someday. Thank you to all the efforts by everyone!

Return to “Software & Applications”