Random Freezes w/Thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ajgringo619

Random Freezes w/Thunderbird

Post by ajgringo619 »

(using Linux Mint 18.3 w/all recent updates)
I installed Mozilla Thunderbird today, along with the Lightning and TbSync plugins. For some reason, I find that the app will
randomly freeze up (no mouse clicks or keyboard response, but background apps are still working). I've used Thunderbird in
the past (on this system), but have never experienced this issue. If I continue to type in a Thunderbird window - say I'm
creating a new email - the keystrokes will show up when the app unfreezes.

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pheeble
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Random Freezes w/Thunderbird

Post by Pheeble »

I'm not familiar with TbSync, but I've used Thunderbird with Lightning for many years without a problem.

My first idea is to try temporarily disabling the TbSync addon and restarting Thunderbird. That should at least help to narrow down your search for a cause. If the freeze disappears with TbSync disabled, then it's probably a problem with TbSync. If not, we'll have to keep looking for a cause.
ajgringo619

Re: Random Freezes w/Thunderbird

Post by ajgringo619 »

Sorry for getting back to this so late. I've been in conversations with the author of TbSync, fixing another problem (tasks and OWA), and we haven't gotten anywhere on this issue. I've tried multiple OS's (Windows 7, Mint, openSUSE Leap, Fedora 27, OpenIndiana) and all do the same thing. TbSync allows Lightning to sync MS Exchange calendars, tasks, and contacts. I thought it was exclusively a TbSync issue at first. I downloaded all of my online calendar - sports schedules included - exported them, then disabled TbSync. It didn't help. I've also tried some of the betas of Thunderbird/Lightning and neither made a difference. For me, Lightning is useless without being able to sync my Outlook calendar; it works well with my phone.

If there's something else you want me to try I'm all ears. I'm "retired" at the moment so I have plenty of time (and VMs!).

Doug

Return to “Software & Applications”