Installing Davinci Resolve with a Radeon Card

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zorixas

Installing Davinci Resolve with a Radeon Card

Post by Zorixas »

Hello everyone, I'm a long time Linux Mint user that has mostly been silent up until now.

I wish to try out Davinci Resolve, and I've looked at many different guides and posts on how to install it, but one problem keeps popping up. All of the guides say to use up-to-date nVidia drivers, but I have a Radeon RX 560 installed. Is there a way for Davinci Resolve to work with AMD Graphics cards? Or have I chosen to join the red team at a bad time?

My OS is Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Cinnamon 64-bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing Davinci Resolve with a Radeon Card

Post by deepakdeshp »

Supported cards. https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
command will list your card.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Zorixas

Post by Zorixas »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 am Supported cards. https://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
command will list your card.
Apologies for the late response. What I'm seeing is odd, it's not showing me the card. I know that it's an Radeon RX 560, I have Windows 10 installed on another hard drive, and it is listing the card correctly in the device manager and Speccy.

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Device 67ff bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS11 (DRM 3.18.0 / 4.13.0-37-generic, LLVM 4.0.0)
Zorixas

Post by Zorixas »

Every time I try to install the drivers, I get a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top left corner.
Zorixas

Post by Zorixas »

OK, I managed to solve the issue, thanks to the last answer from here:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... on-mint-18

Seeing that The Radeon RX 560 is before the Vega, I used legacy in place of rocm, and I didn't need to use the entry: usermod -a -G video $LOGNAME.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Zorixas

Post by Zorixas »

Wanted to give a warning. After following the instructions, some installations broke. Mainly from software installed via flatpak, such as Blender and Viber. They don't start up properly, so I'm going to have to undo those changes and find another method.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think anyone who wants to try Resolve should also read this tnread, esp. the last post:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=244539
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”