Can't update package mint-artwork-common to version 1.8.9.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oligalma
Level 3
Level 3

Can't update package mint-artwork-common to version 1.8.9.2

Post by oligalma »

I can't update package "mint-artwork-common". You can see the error below. What should I do?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't update package

Post by asinoro »

Can you update it from synaptic? If not remove it but before check which other packages are removed to install all of them again.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

What happens if you run in Terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade mint-artwork-common
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, oligalma.

You are not the only Mint 17.3 user who has experienced the reported problem.
Cf. this thread here: mint-artwork-common > dpkg error - attn: DEVS

I suppose the reason is that you have missed a recent dpkg update offered by Update Manager. This recent dpkg update enables dpkg to handle .deb software packages with .xz archives inside.
Without this recent dpkg update dpkg fails to understand the internal structure of the current mint-artwork-common package
Cf. this post here: > here <

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can't update package mint-artwork-common to version 1.8.9.2

Post by karlchen »

Hi, minituxx.

In case you are still using Mint 17.x and in case your dpkg is too old to support .xz archives inside software .deb packages, no "dpkg --forceall" will help.
The recent dpkg on Mint 17.1 arrived on the same day as the mint-artwork-common package here, which simply means that Mint 17.1 had not been used for almost a week.
On my current Mint 18.1, a dpkg update had arrived several days prior to the updated mint-artwork-common. So no hassle with .xz archives inside .deb packages on Mint 18.1. Moreover only Mint 17.x still used an old dpkg which did not support .xz archives inside .deb packages, yet.

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can't update package mint-artwork-common to version 1.8.9.2

Post by karlchen »

minituxx wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 amSo who has this problem just has to update the system? did I get it right?
Yes, sir. This was indeed the message which I tried to get across. :)
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”