Update Problems--SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Update Problems--SOLVED

Post by WHVW »

Hi:

A few days ago I updated my 17.1 install-something told me not to, but I did it anyway; now I am paying the price.
First, it wiped all site data from Kodi...oh well. This is bad because Kodi, although it works, (kinda) is the most difficult, cumbersome and non-intuitive software I have EVER encountered.
But far worse is what it did to Firefox; it trashed most of my privacy protection add-ons, obsoleted others, now "storage api" is sucking up crap from various websites like a demented vacuum cleaner. "Self-destructing Cookies" was what stopped that behaviour, now it is gone.
My question: Is it possible to revert the Firefox update so as to return it to its' former state?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Update Problems

Post by Cosmo. »

WHVW wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm A few days ago I updated my 17.1 install-something told me not to
Sorry, but I don't know, what this sentence shall say.
WHVW wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 pm My question: Is it possible to revert the Firefox update so as to return it to its' former state?
No, as this would mean to willingly install tenths of security leaks. You can use Firefox ESR instead or another browser.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

So, what this mostly comes down to is that apparently, you don't like the current version of Firefox. You're not alone in that. If you're on 64-bits, you could try Waterfox; it will happily import all FF user data and run all of your old add ons.

At least you are now not running an outdated browser anymore. This is a Good Thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Moem wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:37 am If you're on 64-bits, you could try Waterfox; it will happily import all FF user data and run all of your old add ons.
+1 for that suggestion. Note, however, that if you've already run a Quantum version of Firefox it may not only have disabled but, from my impressions gained from reading coments on here, it actually removes them & also from any pre-Quantum Firefox you have which is synchronized. Those will need to be re-installed.

Apart from that, the only thing not imported, as far as I know, are (some of) the settings you may have changed in about:config, e.g. browser.urlbar.trimURLs=false etc..
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Hi all;

Cosmo: The point I was trying to make when I said: "A few days ago I updated my 17.1 install-something told me not to-" was that I had a strong, intuitive feeling that I would regret it. Turns out that I have. The update destroyed the functionality of various programmes, etc.
I am a bit confused hearing Moem say "At least you are now not running an outdated browser anymore. This is a Good Thing" and you say "this would mean to willingly install tenths of security leaks".
It trashed most of my privacy protections, obsoleted many others (with no replacements available) and with "storage api" enabled (with no apparent way to shut it off) I now have websites shovelling tons of who-knows-what kind of crap into my drive, which is space-starved (see my other posts: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=266109, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=265434, viewtopic.php?f=46&t=261223) to begin with.
A shorter way to express this: You can see the "price" I have had to pay; what are the benefits I got in return?
Cosmo and BG405 have pointed me in the right direction, however, with Waterfox and Firefox ESR. I can't go with WF, (this machine is 32-bit) and while the other (which I have not yet updated) is 64 bit, it is running a 32-bit install. I did check out FF ESR, and it looks like it is exactly what I want, tentatively, I'll mark the Firefox portion of this problem as solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”