GoldenCheetah does not start in LM Cinnamon 18.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

GoldenCheetah does not start in LM Cinnamon 18.3

Post by Petermint »

GoldenCheetah 3.3 is in the Software Manager. I installed it and it appears in the menu under Other. When I select the menu entry, nothing happens. Nothing starts. There are no syslog messages. There is a dpkg.log that says "status installed goldencheetah:amd64 3.3.0-2". I cannot find any other message. Where do I look next?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: GoldenCheetah does not start in LM Cinnamon 18.3

Post by mank_in »

why not try running from terminal?

Code: Select all

GoldenCheetah
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Good suggestion. I had tested goldencheetah at the terminal because that is the package name. From your suggestion, I tested GoldenCheetah.
GoldenCheetah: error while loading shared libraries: libvlccore.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
There is a link from libvlccore.so.9 to libvlccore.so.9.0.0 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

From what I can see, the libvlccore8 package contained libvlccore.so.8 for a while then was changed to contain libvlccore.so.9 without updating the package name to 9. Two incompatible packages with the same name. Grrr.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

i am never try ldconfig but according https://itsfoss.com/error-while-loading ... libraries/ can solve the problem related with shared library
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Petermint

I went to their GitHub development website, and started trying each 64-bit deb file in my Linux Mint KDE 18.3 and so far they all have errors related to VLC a multimedia player???

Releases · GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah
https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/releases

GoldenCheetah - their latest stable version for Linux is 3.4.x (still got errors, but it came up.)
http://www.goldencheetah.org/#section-download

I finally got to this one below (VERSION 3.5 DEVELOPMENT BUILD 1705 (Apr 29, 2017)), and it installed with a VLC error, but it does run. I had to start it from the command prompt with "GoldenCheetah" because it did not finish its setup even after running "sudo apt install -f", so no desktop or menu item was created; but you can easily create a shortcut launcher with a command "GoldenCheetah".

Setting up goldencheetah (3.5.0dev+20170808) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/goldencheetah.postinst: line 5: /usr/lib/vlc/vlc-cache-gen: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package goldencheetah (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 goldencheetah
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
VERSION 3.5 DEVELOPMENT BUILD 1705 released this on Apr 29, 2017
https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/Golden ... _amd64.deb

Hope this helps ...
GoldenCheetah1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

ldconfig did nothing. The main pages recommending ldconfig suggest it for running an application immediately after a compile. I tested after a reboot.

libvlccore.so.8 is missing because LM 18.3 has version 3 of libvlccore8 instead of version 2.2.2. Either there is a way to load both versions or the application has to check for both versions. #LinuxDependencyhell

Will test 3.5.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

3.5 fails with exactly the same error no matter how I install it, using gdebi or apt install -f. Your KDE must have something different.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Petermint,

Try this command...

gtksudo GoldenCheetah
You can also try compiling it from source code.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

gtksudo is gtk, not Cinnamon. Sudo does nothing as the file is missing. It is not an access problem.

I am looking at the compile instructions. They start with a download of Qt SDK which is not accessible at the listed Web site. Fortunately Software Manage has qmake listed. If I can compile, there is a setting to disable VLC. Apparently VLC is not used anywhere for anything useful. it is just included for a Microsoft style bloatware introductory video.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

The compile instructions for Linux do not match the source. I installed the prerequisites, followed the steps, and found the some of the listed files are different, plus some of the commands do not work. Compiling GoldenCheetah is out. We are back to finding a way of having an old release of libvlc installed along side the current release.

i read posts about how Linux lets you have multiple versions of packages installed but none explain how it actually works. How can i install an old release of libvlc without replacing the current release?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Four hours of compile, search for error, add a package that has a name unrelated to the error message, repeat. Some packages actually removed error messages. Had to change the config files in ways different to the documentation. Now the application starts and imports data from my watch. Charts display. Cannot fix scale. Will test the display of the data tomorrow.

The compile appears to have picked up the right libraries along the way. Everything was loaded as the Qt5 version instead of Qt4.

Return to “Software & Applications”