GParted telephone icon meaning?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TL7

GParted telephone icon meaning?

Post by TL7 »

2.png
What does the telephone icon shown in the image, in the partition column stand for?

I was unable to find a reference in the non-searchable help index.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: GParted telephone icon meaning?

Post by sdibaja »

Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
foberle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foberle »

I had also noted this icon very recently, but was unable to find any reference to its meaning and just assumed that it was meant to replace the keys used as an icon in earlier versions. I guess it could be a telephone - I thought it was an ATM machine. Intuitive!

I'm assuming that sdibaja's response (which was more or less to RTFM) was supposed to be helpful, but if there is any reference to the meaning of the telephone/ATM icon in the link provided, I couldn't find it. If the Gnome folks would add some tool tips to these, it would sure be appreciated. Googling isn't much help either, since most references are to icons used to represent gparted, not icons used within it.

I wasn't originally all that bothered by seeing a new icon in a utility I've used for years, but now I am curious whether somehow the wrong icon is being picked up somewhere ...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 pm do some reading here: https://gparted.org/documentation.php
So, where in that mass of documentation does it describe the particular icon in question?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TL7 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:27 pm 2.png
What does the telephone icon shown in the image, in the partition column stand for?

I believe you'll find it to be a minor bug. Those partitions with the icon you mention are mounted so the icon should be a key.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

That icon is definitely NOT a "hamburger"

Perhaps it should be a saddle
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Craunch the marmoset, it's a key-safe...
keysafe.jpg
...as any fule noe.
Last edited by Mute Ant on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mute Ant wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:46 am It's a key-safe...
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's...
foberle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foberle »

FWIW: I think I located the actual icon in a number of places, for example the file stock_keyring.svg in the directory usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/96. There are also many links to that base file, such as badge-small.svg, seahorse.svg, etc.

At the size it's displayed in gparted though, it isn't helpful, although this does seem to confirm that it replaces the keyring that gparted uses in other distros.

Just goes to show that "Change" doesn't necessarily equal "Progress."
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Telephone icon is indicating mounted partition.
mounted-partition.png
foberle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foberle »

All frivolities and kidding aside, it seems like most respondents so far have figured out that the icon represents that the partition is mounted.

But the OP's question included a comment saying that he could not find a reference for the meaning of the various icons. If anyone knows of such a reference, it would sure be helpful to point it out.

Re: the old adage "Teach a man to fish ..." and all that. Unless and until Linux distros and apps begin providing BASIC information like this, the number of converts from Microsoft and closed source is going to remain very low. Is it really too much to ask the devs to at least add tool-tips to the icons? Can any of us seriously state that, had we not already been familiar with gparted (just one of many, many examples), we would have figured out what the telephone/ATM or - less obvious - key safe indicated. It is absurd to suggest that the icon in question is "intuitive,' particularly to a new user.

But, I should shut up now - gnome's developers have enough on their plate as it is ... And, after all, this is all FREE - so it seems petty to complain about it.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

when people refer to a chat room like this first, and still don't bother to read the documentation provided by the developer, they will usually wander away confused.
It is part of human nature.

Adage of the day:
"Give the kids a book and they eat the cover"

Gnome? what does Gnome have to do with it?

BTW: the Icons are provided by and controlled by the chosen theme. Unfortunately many OS developers choose "cute" over the obvious
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
foberle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by foberle »

Re: Gnome? what does Gnome have to do with it?

The initial "g" stands for gnome - gparted is gnome's reworking of the earlier part(ition) ed(itor). gparted is a gnome project.

When I said I found it in a number of places, I should have mentioned that those locations I was referring to were "themes." Sorry...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

foberle wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 am All frivolities and kidding aside, it seems like most respondents so far have figured out that the icon represents that the partition is mounted.

But the OP's question included a comment saying that he could not find a reference for the meaning of the various icons. If anyone knows of such a reference, it would sure be helpful to point it out.

Re: the old adage "Teach a man to fish ..." and all that. Unless and until Linux distros and apps begin providing BASIC information like this, the number of converts from Microsoft and closed source is going to remain very low. Is it really too much to ask the devs to at least add tool-tips to the icons? Can any of us seriously state that, had we not already been familiar with gparted (just one of many, many examples), we would have figured out what the telephone/ATM or - less obvious - key safe indicated. It is absurd to suggest that the icon in question is "intuitive,' particularly to a new user.

But, I should shut up now - gnome's developers have enough on their plate as it is ... And, after all, this is all FREE - so it seems petty to complain about it.

This is exactly why I refused to learn Linux two decades ago...
I was frustrated with Windows and had learned how to massage the Registry and all of the CMD: command line hacks, but I wanted something that didn't crash with the next new update that just locked up my applications.... and of course, that application is now replaced with XYZ for $419.00 please for annual/subscription..... to which I refused to pay..... I will pay for a program that I can own and keep, I will NOT pay a subscription to use it for the rest of my life.

Tool Tips that show up when we hover the mouse over an icon is a Requirement for modern programmers... but sadly so many of them are so chained to that 20 year old symptom of "to hell with the newbies, they ought to know what I mean"

Until Cinnamon showed up, I would not screw around with any flavor of Linux....

man pageSymbol should be a requirement in every program.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

foberle wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:16 am All frivolities and kidding aside, it seems like most respondents so far have figured out that the icon represents that the partition is mounted.

But the OP's question included a comment saying that he could not find a reference for the meaning of the various icons.
The question included no such comment.
That was the question.
TL7

Tooltips

Post by TL7 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:58 pm
TL7 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:27 pm 2.png

I believe you'll find it to be a minor bug. Those partitions with the icon you mention are mounted so the icon should be a key.
I also suggest a hovercard/tooltip to be displayed when hovering the mouse above that icon.
TL7

Post by TL7 »

sdibaja wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:49 pm do some reading here: https://gparted.org/documentation.php
Where exactly?

Return to “Software & Applications”