Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
trident
Level 1
Level 1

VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Postby trident » Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 am

I've always preferred VLC to Totem and Mplayer, and am more used to it from when I used it in Windows, so one of the first things I did when I got Mint 7 working was to install it from the featured apps in MintInstall. However, it's behaving differently to on other distributions. When I load a video (.avi and .mpg), instead of having the video and controls in one window, I get a separate "XVideo Output" window with the video in, and the normal window only has the controls. So I end up with an MPlayer-style 2-window setup which I don't much like. Is this normal for the version in Gloria's MintInstall, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using fglrx (blech) and Compiz, although disabling desktop effects doesn't seem to make any difference.

fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Postby fenny » Sun May 31, 2009 7:33 am

i have the same issue since updating to jaunty. there seems to be a bug with the embedded video window.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/314038

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby proxima_centauri » Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 am

It's been a bug in VLC for a while now. In the meantime i switched to SMplayer, which satisfies my movie playing needs - probably wont go back to VLC.

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Lantesh » Sun May 31, 2009 1:55 pm

I'll 2nd SMPlayer. The interface is much nicer, and easy to use. The only downside to SMPlayer is no support for DVD menus.

trident
Level 1
Level 1

Postby trident » Sun May 31, 2009 2:01 pm

I tried it, and it looks nice, but crashes the computer in full screen mode. Then again, Xine, VLC and Totem all seem to do that too (and MPlayer/GNOME Mplayer won't even go full-screen properly) so I suspect another fglrx issue...

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kei84 » Sun May 31, 2009 2:54 pm

About this VLC bug, it looks like it will only be fixed with the release of 1.0 version.

Return to “Software & Applications”