Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jman47
Level 1
Level 1

Re: After todays update-->initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart

Post by jman47 »

Thank you, thank you to clem and everyone on this forum. I am not very skilled at the command line or at identifying problems by utilizing the linux terminal, so when my Cinnamon GUI was broken today and I was unable to login, I panicked. Thank you for the swift resolution to this problem. Once I removed the virtualbox guest packages, I was able to log in as usual.

I have learned my lesson and will be backing up my Mint 18.3 install now (I know, I know). This is a terrific (and terrifically stable) distro, and the helpful responses and clem's and the dev's swift action to restore stability is why I will keep using Linux Mint well into the future (and why I am a supporter of the distro with my money as well).

Cheers,
John
mspford
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mspford »

A friend of mine for whom I installed Mint got this error today and called me in a panic. Thanks for being so responsive with your update and fix instructions. Per the related post viewtopic.php?f=143&t=266478&sid=35d3e0 ... 7701553f84, here is the output of the inxi command:

Code: Select all

mark@mark-Gateway ~ $ inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: mark-Gateway Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:2772
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1440x900@59.89hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945G
           GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
mark@mark-Gateway ~ $
cdgoldin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cdgoldin »

I had the same problem this morning (26-March-2018) after allowing "Update Manager" to install the "virtualbox 5.1.34" update. (This purportedly updated my VirtualBox installation from version 5.2.6 to (the current) version 5.2.8 ).

Following the update, I couldn't start VirtualBox by clicking the desktop icons, nor from a command line, nor by clicking /usr/bin/VBox nor /usr/bin/virtualbox. When run from the command line, it displayed the following error message: "OpenGL Warning: Failed to connect to host. Make sure 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM".

I then tried reinstalling 5.2.8 with both the Update Manager and from the .deb file downloaded from the VirtualBox website, but that made no difference.

I then tried reinstalling 5.2.6 from the .deb file downloaded from the VirtualBox website, but it (correctly) said that a later version was installed!

I then tried entering "sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox” in order to reinstall afterwards, but it said that virtualbox is not installed! [The instructions for removing virtualbox that I copied from the Internet omitted the asterisk from virtualbox*, and I didn't know the difference.]

I then tried to reboot, but it immediately “ended the session” as described in the first post to this thread. [I didn't know how to boot to the command line by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1, nor how to solve the problem by removing the guest-additions], so...

I then restored from my latest backup. The system booted without any problem. VirtualBox 5.2.6 started without any problem.

I then installed VirtualBox 5.2.8 from the .deb file downloaded from the VirtualBox website. VirtualBox 5.2.8 started without any problem, and the system booted without any problem.

I then installed the downloaded VirtualBox 5.2.8 extension pack. Again, VirtualBox 5.2.8 started without any problem, and the system booted without any problem.

Subsequently, Update Manager did NOT show the problematic virtualbox 5.1.34 update. It only showed mintupdate 5.3.2.1”, which said it “breaks” and thus will remove virtualbox-guest-dkms, virtualbox-guest-utils, and virtualbox-guest-x11. I installed it anyway! VirtualBox still seems to work without these packages, as does rebooting.

These events and this thread pose several questions:

1) Why is Update Manager providing updates for VirtualBox 5.1.34 when the installed version is 5.2.6 (and the current version is 5.2.8)? If we can't trust Update Manager, what's the point of having it?

2) Once the 5.1.34 update package is applied, the system is unbootable, so how would someone download and run mintupdate 5.3.2.1 to remove the offending packages, unless the had already removed them in order to reboot (in which case they wouldn't need to run mintupdate 5.3.2.1)?

System:    Host: System5 Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9) dm: mdm
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:68f9
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.85hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-116-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes

Last edited by cdgoldin on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

cdgoldin wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:49 am
1) Why is Update Manager providing updates for VirtualBox 5.1.34 when the installed version is 5.2.6 (and the current version is 5.2.8)? If we can't trust Update Manager, what's the point of having it?

2) Once the 5.1.34 update package is applied, the system is unbootable, so how would someone download and run mintupdate 5.3.2.1 to remove the offending packages, unless the had already removed them in order to reboot (in which case they wouldn't need to run mintupdate 5.3.2.1)?
1) You probably had residual virtualbox-guest* 5.0.40 packages installed which would have prompted the update despite you having the newer Oracle version of virtualbox installed. They are not required for normal virtualbox operation.

2) The Update manager update is to protect people in future, particularly anyone installing Mint 18,18.1 or 18.2 from ISO or anyone who hadn't updated yet since yesterday. It basically ensures the problematic and essentially useless virtualbox-guest* packages are not upgraded, are removed and can't be installed accidentally. Unfortunately, they are default packages in the Mint ISO's < 18.3
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

cdgoldin wrote:
As noted the problem is with the VirtualBox guest additions, the virtualbox-guest* packages. You may have installed a newer version of VirtualBox like you say but not install newer version of the guest additions? That is likely as these aren't part of the VirtualBox .deb file you would have downloaded from their website. So Update Manager would have shown you the updates for the guest additions. It would have labeled that update as VirtualBox as it groups updates into one line.
cdgoldin wrote:
You're misunderstanding. The update to mintupdate is for the users that have not yet applied the available updates to the virtualbox-guest* packages. For users that have already applied the updates to the virtualbox-guest* packages and are stuck with not being able to login, the instructions are provided for them on how to manually remove these packages: What to do if you can't login to Linux Mint 18.x
kmph
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kmph »

paintdrinkingpete wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:18 pm
kmph wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 pm

Is there any harm in not doing this? I've never consciously run virtualbox yet, however, is it needed for any background tasks, system running, whatever?
From what I understand, these "virtualbox-guest*" packages are for if you are running Mint as a virtual guest using virtualbox. If you are not (and based on your comment I'm assuming you certainly are not), then yes, should be safe to remove.
Ikr about virtualbox-guest*.

But. I run sudo apt-get remove virtualbox* instead of sudo apt-get remove virtualbox-guest*.

This is because I had to solve the issue before ppl posted in the forums that we only have to remove virtualbox-guest*.

So the question is, if the fact that I removed "too much" is going to hurt.?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

@kmph: No, it won't hurt anything.. but you had Virtualbox (the app itself) installed, that would remove it as well.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I'll take this opportunity to recommend using Timeshift, the system snapshot tool.

With system snapshots in place you can restore your OS to the previous restoration point, thus going back in time and reverting updates and/or changes to the system. This does not affect your home directory and personal data, it just restores your OS to how it was when it was last snapshot.

Timeshift was backported and is available in all Linux Mint and LMDE releases. If you haven't installed/used it yet, have a look at it. Launch it and set up automatic snapshots.

We worked a lot on integrating it in 18.3. It came late in the development cycle and we didn't have time to rebuild our strategy, documentation and communication around it. This will be done for Mint 19.
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

kmph wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:02 pm
I've never consciously run virtualbox yet, however, is it needed for any background tasks, system running, whatever?
There is some confusion coming up regarding virtualbox and virtualbox-guest packages, and we will surely see more of this. Both are related, but it are quite different things. The application virtualbox does not give the problem, which the users encounter currently. It does not affect the functionality of the Mint system and it is only installed on systems, where the user installed it by will.

The VB guest additions are packages, which are needed to give the full power of a virtualized system. They have been developed for getting installed inside of a running virtual machine (aka guest). Mint up until 18.2 installed those guest additions by default, so they exist (often without the user's knowledge) in all of those Mint systems, even if this is a bare metal installation. Mint 18.3 installations, which had originally been installed as a prior Mint 18.x version and than been upgraded, are also affected, because the upgrade does not remove those packages. Only fresh installs of Mint 18.3 are not affected.

The VB guest additions had never been made by Oracle for getting installed outside of a VB guest. Those pre-installations had never been good for anything out of several reasons, but at least they should in theory not give any problem, because at boot time a mechanism should check, whether the system is running on bare metal or in a virtualized environment. But there must be a bug in this mechanism, as it obviously fails to work. The decision to - finally - remove the guest packages via update manager is the one and only right decision. There is only one possible and unavoidable problem: Those users, who run Mint as a VB guest and have those guest packages still in use in the virtual machine will notice, that all functions in the guest, which rely on the guest additions, will stop to work. For solving that those users need to install the guest additions, which are shipped with VB (if installed directly from Oracle as I recommend since years), from the devices menu of the running guest.
clemens
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clemens »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:48 pm
Thanks all for confirming removing the virtualbox packages is a workaround. I'm sorry this issue is affecting you all.

If you would, please help me with gathering information for troubleshooting. Run this command from the terminal and share output here:
inxi -SGxx

➜  ~ inxi -SGxx        
System:    Host: NUC Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5927 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:5927
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 (Kaby Lake GT3)
jsb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jsb »

I did not read this whole thread, but the message that had popped up after I logging in was different, something about indicator plug-in not starting. Removing virtualbox-guest* fixed it for me.

Here's the output requested:

inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: OptiPlex-760 Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) dm: mdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:2e12
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.88hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
jman47
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jman47 »

I neglected to include the requested information from my system, which was affected by the virtualbox guest problem. It is below. Thanks again to clem and everyone.

inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: john-XPS-13-9360 Kernel: 4.4.0-116-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.306-1ubuntu3.4) dm: mdm
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5916 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:5916
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Some users are reporting being able to login but the virtualbox-guest* package updates causing problems with their panels instead.

As the update to Update Manager will remove the virtualbox-guest* packages for all Linux Mint 18.x users that is suggested as workaround for them as well. This was confirmed to work by several users.
allanr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by allanr »

Phew, massive panic over. (Just as well I've an old Win7 PC to search the Internet for these solutions!)
Thanks to all for the advice to correct this show-stopper.

My inxi -SGxx is:

allan@RTX100 ~ $ inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: RTX100 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Graphics:  Card-1: NVIDIA G73 [GeForce 7600 GS]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:0392
           Card-2: Matrox Systems Millennium G550
           bus-ID: 06:00.0 chip-ID: 102b:2527
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1280x1024@60.02hz, 1280x1024@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 7600 GS/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.135 Direct Rendering: Yes
Now, what was it I was meant to be doing on the computer today ....
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

clem wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:37 pm
If you are running Linux Mint as a guest OS within Virtualbox, proceed with the removal of these packages and then install the Virtualbox Guest Additions (In the guest virtual machine, choose Devices -> Install Guest Additions from the menubar).
A necessary addition:
After the guest packages have been removed inside of the VB guest machine, the guest has at first to get rebooted, otherwise the new guest additions cannot get properly installed. After the installation of the new guest additions inside of the VB guest machine another reboot of the guest machine is needed to make them effective.

For the second reboot there will be a hint given in the terminal window, but for the first needed reboot there is no notification given anywhere.
Kabé
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kabé »

Thanks for the solution. I ran into the same problem this morning, booting up to show some film excerpts for my teaching class. Awkward, but I could hook up my drive to another computer linked to the videoprojector.

here's the inxi -SGxx output:

System:    Host: kees-XPS Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Graphics:  Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics
           bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:1916
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
arachnia
Level 1
Level 1

Post by arachnia »

So glad I found this thread today. I ran the virtual-guest updates yesterday evening then later went to run VLC but it wouldn't load. About an hour earlier my husband had mentioned that he couldn't run VLC so reset his machine and all was fine.

My problems started when I reset. I didn't quite get my complete desktop (xfce), I had no window tops or backdrop, and had a notification to say the indicator plugin had unexpectedly removed itself from the panel with the option to reinstate it by clicking 'execute' (which failed every time and just returned the same message) or remove it completely by clicking 'cancel' - which was all I could do.

I couldn't run 'desktop settings' from the Settings Manager but knew I was running Metacity+Compositing (because Xfwm4 gives me problems with Libre Office windows randomly appearing on workspaces they don't belong to even when they have been closed). I decided to clear saved sessions and reboot.

This gave me back my backdrop & window tops although a different flavour than before but I realised I must be back in Xfwm4 as I was able to generate more than four workspaces (Metacity is limited to max of four). I thought I was through it but found loads of apps wouldn't load - Firefox, Thunderbird, Bluefish, Text Editor, etc. Had a working terrminal but didn't know what to ask it to do!

Husband's machine still fine this morning and he had the mint-update which would remove the virtual-guest packages so gave me something to search for as culprit cos I was getting nowhere searching for the indicator plugin or window problems. Booted up and purged the three virtualbox-guest updates, reset and all is good now.

Weird how this affected folk in so many different ways. Output from inxi below

arachnia@Hecate ~ $ inxi -SGxx
System:    Host: Hecate Kernel: 4.4.0-21-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 (Gtk 2.24.28) dm: mdm
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G98 [GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:06e4
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1680x1050@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV98
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Was dreading having to use my un-updated lappy for all the work today, even though it's running the same distro - just too slow. Thanks again everyone!
andy_Yorks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_Yorks »

I had the same problem - I don't use Virtualbox, so the nuclear option, sudo apt-get purge virtualbox* was fine and worked for me.

Thanks everyone for the info. My system details from inxi -SGxx, in case anyone cares ...

System: Host: zaphod Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Graphics: Card-1: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]
bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:13c2
Card-2: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970]
bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10de:13c2
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: nvidia,nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 3840x2160@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Rendering: Yes

Andy
Roger Newton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Roger Newton »

Linux Mint 18 Cinnimon 64 bit

Hi - I have been struggling with lots of different things associated with this issue - I did purge Virtual box - But that just made things worse. On rebooting I got the dreaded
Welcome to emergency mode After logging in type journalctl -xb to view system logs systemctl reboot to reboot Systemctl default to try again to boot into default mode Give root password for maintenance or press control D to continue
Pressing control D Brings up the message [ 40.896806] FAT-fs (sda1) OK charred iso8859-1 not found And then the same welcome message appeares

After a lot of faffing around I logged on by changing to an earlier version of the Kernel 4.4.0-21 and my mint has loaded ok. So from that I presume there is a bug with my latest version 4.4.0-45. or that a bug has been introduced. Now my question is how do I resolve the problems with 4.4.0-45 I have tried sudo apt-get install linux-generic and sudo apt-get install --reinstall all with out sucsess. There are error messages about not being able to access ubuntu archives.
I have also used synaptic to completely remove 4.4.0-45 and then reinstalled it.
Someone suggested changing DMD to LightDM but that had no effect either.

There is a bug in my version of 4.4.0-45 but how do I fix it. In the mean time I can continue logging on with 4.4.0-21 and I am currently logged on with that kernel.
Thanks
Roger
athinita
Level 1
Level 1

Post by athinita »

I had the same problem, so I gave the command sudo apt-get remove virtualbox* and I managed to login. But now I have no sound at all!!! What went wrong? Can someone help me?

Return to “Software & Applications”