Kernel Updates, is it advisable?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Kernel Updates, is it advisable?

Post by Reddog1 »

Maybe I missed someone already posting this, but you can hide those unwanted kernel updates (and if you have everything sorted out and working there isn't a logical reason to update your kernel unless a serious vulnerability turns up).

Open the Update Manager, then 'Edit', then 'Preferences', and uncheck the box for 'Always show kernel updates'
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed »

smurphos wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:29 pm
So if you are running a fresh install of 18.3 unless you have specifically chosen to install a 4.4.0-x kernel you are not technically using a LTS kernel.

According to the https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480 18.3 should be LTS. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Mr_Reed wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:07 pm According to the https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3480 18.3 should be LTS. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing?
The OS as a whole is LTS. The kernel shipped with the ISO is not.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr_Reed »

Reddog1 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:09 pm Maybe I missed someone already posting this, but you can hide those unwanted kernel updates (and if you have everything sorted out and working there isn't a logical reason to update your kernel unless a serious vulnerability turns up).

Open the Update Manager, then 'Edit', then 'Preferences', and uncheck the box for 'Always show kernel updates'
Well I am a novice, and I left all standard settings concerning the update manager, and I'm told to update the kernel every time one is out. I didn't think I had to tweak the update settings to "hide" things.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i ran across this article today regarding 4.15 kernel series... https://optocrypto.com/linux-4-15-kerne ... announced/ ...i noticed that smurphos stated on april 3rd 2018 in his post, the following..."if you are on a 4.13.0-x kernel it is supported and if you follow Update Manager's recommendations you will eventually end up on 4.15.0-x and will be on a supported kernel for the lifetime of Mint 18.x"...the article appears to imply that ubuntu has declared the 4.15 EOL...i also took note that the 4.13 series that supposedly was taken over by the addition of the 4.15 kernel is to be at EOL in august...is the august date still true? is it mints intention to support this 4.15 kernel on its own apart from ubuntu or does mint also declare this kernel dead as a door nail as well following ubuntus declaration today?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:25 pm i ran across this article today regarding 4.15 kernel series... https://optocrypto.com/linux-4-15-kerne ... announced/ ...i noticed that smurphos stated on april 3rd 2018 in his post, the following..."if you are on a 4.13.0-x kernel it is supported and if you follow Update Manager's recommendations you will eventually end up on 4.15.0-x and will be on a supported kernel for the lifetime of Mint 18.x"...the article appears to imply that ubuntu has declared the 4.15 EOL...i also took note that the 4.13 series that supposedly was taken over by the addition of the 4.15 kernel is to be at EOL in august...is the august date still true? is it mints intention to support this 4.15 kernel on its own apart from ubuntu or does mint also declare this kernel dead as a door nail as well following ubuntus declaration today?
That's a common misunderstanding.

Upstream EOL (kernel.org) does *not* equal downstream EOL (Ubuntu). The kernel is open source, so downstream maintenance is very well possible. Which is in fact exactly what will happen to the 4.15 kernel series: that'll be supported downstream for five years.
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi pjotr and other folks reading this...so does this mean that staying with the 4.15 kernel is ok and it will continue to be updated as need be until the new mint 19 as well as the upcoming peppermint 9 since i do use both systems and because ubuntu states thus far that the 4.15 kernel series is going to be its LTS kernel in the forth coming ubuntu 18.04 which both mint and peppermint are based on as well as both OSs using mints update manager as the go to system for updating?...if so...i think its great since i noticed in both OSs im using, that for some strange reason i cannot define, everything responds much snappier than the LTS 4.4 series i was previously using...but if not...i would like to know so i can decide if i wish to either regress to the 4.13 series supported only till august 2018 or further regress to the 4.4 LTS series...all kernel series work on my many computer systems i have without a problem...it just seems everything works snappier with 4.15 series...could just be my imagination but i dont think so...even boot up is faster...from 45 seconds on older series kernels to 37 seconds average on 4.15 kernel series...DAMIEN
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 pm hi pjotr and other folks reading this...so does this mean that staying with the 4.15 kernel is ok and it will continue to be updated
Yes. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

YEAAAAAAHHHHH...thanks pjotr for your answers and input...DAMIEN

Return to “Software & Applications”