Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] no choices listed for downloading photos

Post by cdaaawg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm

I am running a fully updated version of Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 64-bit. When I plug a camera into a USB port, the camera is detected and the application chooser dialog appears.
The dialog was at one point populated with applications from which I could choose my preference for handling the downloading of photos from the camera. Now, however, the list simply says "No application found". I do not know how this got broken.

Attempting to fix the problem, I launched the file manager
In Caja file manager; Edit --> Preferences --> Media tab
Media handling
Photos: "No applications found"

I am at a loss how to fix this list or what mechanism populates it in the first place.
Any enlightenment is appreciated

Carl

The solution that worked for me:
The files ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache were missing (I thought I had checked for them previously, but apparently not.) I simply copied them from another computer which was working properly and VOILA! I know this is not a true fix, but al least the utility that was showing "No applications found" in the drop down / pick list is now showing relevant choices that work. I can now explore how to properly generate/populate those files for that specific computer.

Thanks everyone for your input and enlightenment -- open source rules!

Carl
Last edited by cdaaawg on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Re: no choices listed for downloading photos

Post by wallyUSA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Any idea what changed since it last worked? Updates?

Is this a camera or smart phone? I have had problems with iPhone and finally gave up.
Tina 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 Kernel 4.15.0-64 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:46 pm

wallyUSA wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Is this a camera or smart phone? I have had problems with iPhone and finally gave up.
A DSLR camera was connected. The device shouldn't matter once it's detected by the system as it was in this case. Somehow the handler application list got hosed, as it was working previously.

Other than updates, which may have included kernel updates, the only changes were to the Main Menu structure.

Carl

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Did you look in Menu - Preferences - Preferred Applications - Removable Media - Select an application to run when a camera is connected?

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 am

I pull the SD card out of the camera and plug that into an adapter, then in the PC.

much much faster transfer

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 am

Hi "cdaaawg",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Previous posts with good information:

[SOLVED] Import media from iPhone ? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=265823&hilit=dukto

MTP Connectivity Sucks - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=261172&hilit=dukto

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:01 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 am
I pull the SD card out of the camera and plug that into an adapter, then in the PC.

much much faster transfer
That method is only faster if you have an adapter for your card. It is infinitely slower if you don't have a working adapter. ;)

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Hi cdaaawg,

In addition to the information in the links I provided, if your camera supports wireless, there are options for that as well.

Airnef - Wireless download from your Nikon/Sony/Canon Camera!
https://mintguide.org/tools/572-airnef- ... amera.html

Even if your camera does not support wireless, check this link out...
How to Wirelessly Transfer Photos from Your Camera to Your Computer
https://www.howtogeek.com/212506/how-to ... -computer/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

frankt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frankt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:47 pm

I use Shotwell. Gave it a try.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 am

cdaaawg wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:50 pm
I am running a fully updated version of Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 64-bit. When I plug a camera into a USB port, the camera is detected and the application chooser dialog appears.
The dialog was at one point populated with applications from which I could choose my preference for handling the downloading of photos from the camera. Now, however, the list simply says "No application found". I do not know how this got broken.

Media handling

I am at a loss how to fix this list or what mechanism populates it in the first place.

Carl
I am going to focus on the part where you said, "at one point populated with applications" and now it says, "No application found".

I have a relatively new LM18.3/Mate setup. I've never plugged my phone in directly, until now.

In Caja Preferences >Media, I have "Ask what to do" and "Browse Media when inserted". In my phone I had to select either MTP or PTP. I tried it both ways.

With MTP, when I plug in my phone, caja opens and there is an icon on the desktop. I can right click and select "Open With" and the list is populated.

With PTP, when I plug in my phone, a dialog is displayed (see picture) and there is an icon on the desktop. The default application that shows in the dialog is Pix Photo Import Tool. I expanded the text box (see picture).

A couple of interesting thing I ran across:
1) You can view the photos from the console /run/user/$UID/gvfs/
2) I once had an episode when the camera would not connect. I plugged and unplugged 4 times, and the 5th time it connected. I saw in the log, retries and error message:

ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session,

which seems to be similar to Unable to mount Android MTP device.

In the future, I will look for gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor and kill it and see if that works. I think, in my case, it might be a timing issue because it doesn't happen all the time.

With a problem like this it is helpful to tail the system log using something like: tail -n20 -f /var/log/syslog (Use ctrl-c to exit), to see what messages (good and bad) come across. This can also be done with journalctl. Often you can search on the message.

To see if a process is running, I use ps ax|grep -i gphoto2.

Are you saying you are not seeing "Open Pix Photo Import Tool" and when you select "Open with other Applications..." there is nothing, so it doesn't look like the attached picture?

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this is a mimetype problem.

Try first to reinstall the package pix. I'm hoping it will run the programs necessary to rebuild the mimetype databases.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pix

In addition,
Test 1
1. Open Caja
2. Go to an image directory
3. Change the view to List View (Not icon or compact), if not already selected.
4. Select View > Visible Columns and check "MIME Type"

Is the MIME Type column filled in with image/jpeg or something similar?

Test 2
1. Open a console and try the command below:

Code: Select all

xdg-mime query filetype PATH/TO/FILE.jpg
# output: image/jpeg

xdg-mime query default image/jpeg
# output:

# FYI: The two commands above can be combined and executed like:
xdg-mime query default $(xdg-mime query filetype PATH/TO/FILE.jpg)
Did you get something back like xviewer.desktop?

Like you, I am unsure how the list is built. There is a update-mime-database & update-desktop-database command.

To see what directories would be updated: declare -p ${!XDG@}

There is an interesting pdf doc in /usr/share/doc/shared-mime-info/shared-mime-info-spec.pdf (which is also online).

That's all I have for now. I'd be interested in how things go for you.
Attachments
ptp.jpg
ptp.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Last edited by lmuserx4849 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:07 am, edited 9 times in total.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:11 am

cdaaawg wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:46 pm
wallyUSA wrote:

A DSLR camera was connected. The device shouldn't matter once it's detected by the system as it was in this case. Somehow the handler application list got hosed, as it was working previously.

Other than updates, which may have included kernel updates, the only changes were to the Main Menu structure.

Carl
Can you elaborate on "the only changes were to the Main Menu structure". Did you use a GUI or manually edit? If files were changed, which ones? If a program was run, which one?

cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 pm

lmuserx4849 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:11 am
cdaaawg wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:46 pm
wallyUSA wrote:

Carl
Can you elaborate on "the only changes were to the Main Menu structure". Did you use a GUI or manually edit? If files were changed, which ones? If a program was run, which one?
I used the "System ==> Preferences ==> Look and Feel ==> Main Menu" gui application to add a folder named "Photography" to the "Graphics" group of applications in the MATE Applications menu. I then added launchers for Darktable, Geeqie, and Rapid Photo Downloader to the "Photography" directory I created. This helps keep the clutter down for the applications I use most often for developing my photos. The applications launch without any problems, so this change is not the problem.

cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:55 pm

lmuserx4849 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:51 am
cdaaawg wrote:

Media handling

Carl
I am going to focus on the part where you said, "at one point populated with applications" and now it says, "No application found".

I have a relatively new LM18.3/Mate setup. I've never plugged my phone in directly, until now.

In Caja Preferences >Media, I have "Ask what to do" and "Browse Media when inserted". In my phone I had to select either MTP or PTP. I tried it both ways.

With MTP, when I plug in my phone, caja opens and there is an icon on the desktop. I can right click and select "Open With" and the list is populated.

With PTP, when I plug in my phone, a dialog is displayed (see picture) and there is an icon on the desktop. The default application that shows in the dialog is Pix Photo Import Tool. I expanded the text box (see picture).

A couple of interesting thing I ran across:
1) You can view the photos from the console /run/user/$UID/gvfs/
2) I once had an episode when the camera would not connect. I plugged and unplugged 4 times, and the 5th time it connected. I saw in the log, retries and error message:

ignoring libusb_claim_interface() = -6PTP_ERROR_IO: failed to open session,

which seems to be similar to Unable to mount Android MTP device.

In the future, I will look for gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor and kill it and see if that works. I think, in my case, it might be a timing issue because it doesn't happen all the time.

With a problem like this it is helpful to tail the system log using something like: tail -n20 -f /var/log/syslog (Use ctrl-c to exit), to see what messages (good and bad) come across. This can also be done with journalctl. Often you can search on the message.

To see if a process is running, I use ps ax|grep -i gphoto2.

Are you saying you are not seeing "Open Pix Photo Import Tool" and when you select "Open with other Applications..." there is nothing, so it doesn't look like the attached picture?

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this is a mimetype problem.

Try first to reinstall the package pix. I'm hoping it will run the programs necessary to rebuild the mimetype databases.

sudo apt-get install --reinstall pix

In addition,
Test 1
1. Open Caja
2. Go to an image directory
3. Change the view to List View (Not icon or compact), if not already selected.
4. Select View > Visible Columns and check "MIME Type"

Is the MIME Type column filled in with image/jpeg or something similar?

Test 2
1. Open a console and try the command below:

# output: image/jpeg

# output:

# FYI: The two commands above can be combined and executed like:
xdg-mime query default $(xdg-mime query filetype PATH/TO/FILE.jpg)
Did you get something back like xviewer.desktop?

Like you, I am unsure how the list is built. There is a update-mime-database & update-desktop-database command.

To see what directories would be updated: declare -p ${!XDG@}

There is an interesting pdf doc in /usr/share/doc/shared-mime-info/shared-mime-info-spec.pdf (which is also online).

That's all I have for now. I'd be interested in how things go for you.
First of all, lmuserx4849, thanks for input! This is some quality info.

Attached are the dialogs I see when I:
1) Connect the DSLR in PTP mode via USB
Application Chooser Screenshot.png
Application Chooser Screenshot.png (25.62 KiB) Viewed 477 times
and

2) View the Caja ===> Edit ==> Preferences ==> Media tab
File Management Preferences - Media - Photos.png
Reinstalling the pix application had no effect.
Test 1
Mime type column in Caja
image/jpeg

Test 2

output:
image/jpeg

output:
mozo-made-2.desktop (This is the launcher for my preferred photo viewer application "Geeqie")

declare -p ${!XDG@}
output:
declare -x XDG_CONFIG_DIRS="/etc/xdg/xdg-mate:/etc/xdg"
declare -x XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP="MATE"
declare -x XDG_DATA_DIRS="/usr/share/mate:/home/cdreyer/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/usr/share/mdm/"
declare -x XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/run/user/1000"
declare -x XDG_SEAT="seat0"
declare -x XDG_SESSION_COOKIE="8441891e86e24d76b9616edf516d5734-1523305588.23743-184721357"
declare -x XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP="mate"
declare -x XDG_SESSION_ID="c1"
declare -x XDG_VTNR="8"

I will have a look at the document you pointed out to see if there is any clue as to how the "Preferred Applications" list is populated.

Thanks for your input, I will get back with more info to try to shed some light on this problem. (I don't want to re-install LM 18.3; I'd rather spend more time to learn how the system works!)

P.S. If you didn't already know, MTP mode simply allows a device to be seen as a mass storage device, whereas PTP mode allows a device (not all cameras have the capability) to be controlled via gphoto2 libraries, bash and the gphoto2 shell for things like changing camera controls, time-lapse, tethering, file transfer, etc. In order to control the camera, it must be unmounted so gvfs is not controlling it.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:51 pm

Good images. I think we are pinpointing the problem. Both mozo and geeqie appear in other questions. Perhaps others have had this problem.

The part that caught my eye was this:
mozo-made-2.desktop (This is the launcher for my preferred photo viewer application "Geeqie")
I would have expected something like geeqie.desktop.

dpkg -l '*mozo*' says it is the mate menu editing tool.

Is the contents of mozo-made-2.desktop really for geeqie (look for Exec= in the file).
That's weird :-) Although playing around with the menu editor mozo, I see that name appear often in file names.

In your home directory you can do a find -iname '*.desktop' or locate .desktop|grep geeqie.

If you execute grep --color=always geeqie.desktop /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache, do you get results back.

When I installed geeqie, a desktop file was created /usr/share/app-install/desktop/geeqie\:geeqie.desktop.

Bummer, when I tried to select geeqie in Caja File Management Preference > Media > Photos > Open With, the field kept reverting back to Do Nothing, although when I expanded the field I had other options.

Folks on this thread said they use Shotwell. I uninstalled geeqie and installed Shotwell and selected it in Caja and no problems. You could try shotwell and see if it works, then compare the files provided by the two packages.

Whether I select shotwell or geegie, the file ~/.config/mimeapps.list was updated with either shotwell.desktop or
geeqie.desktop. If I locate shotwell it is /usr/share/applications/shotwell.desktop. There is /usr/share/applications/shotwell.desktop-viewer.desktop, and /usr/share/app-install/desktop/shotwell-common:shotwell.desktop. geeqie only has the one file /usr/share/app-install/desktop/geeqie:geeqie.desktop.

I did the following:

sudo -i
apt-get install shotwell
apt-get install geeqie
cd /usr/share/applications
cp shotwell-viewer.desktop geeqie-viewer.desktop
cp shotwell.desktop geeqie.desktop
# Edit the two geeqie desktop files. Basically replace shotwell with geeqie.
update-desktop-database
# ctrl-d
# logoff/logon
Take note of the mimetype in ~/.config/mimeapps.list (your selected defaults). It is x-content/image-dcf. Only the shotwell.desktop,geeqie.desktop, and pix-import contain that mime type. They are also the ones that appear in the caja preference dropdown.

You may need to tweak those desktop files. But I think you are on your way.
Go into Caja > Edit Preferences > Media and not only can you select geeqie in the list, but it is remembered. :-)

There are number of entries when I search for "mate default application list empty"...
- Can't set default application from ~/.local/share/applications
- editing entry in menu prevents the application from being an option for "Preferred Applications"
As far as I can tell, there is no solution using standard GUI's.. These LM users found a work around for them:
- Preferred Applications options disabled or missing - bug?

cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Re: no choices listed for downloading photos

Post by cdaaawg » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:48 pm

cdaaawg wrote:

Media handling

Carl
Here's what worked for me:
The files ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache were missing (I thought I had checked for them previously, but apparently not.) I simply copied them from another computer which was working properly and VOILA! I know this is not a true fix, but al least the utility that was showing "No applications found" in the drop down / pick list is now showing relevant choices that work. I can now explore how to properly generate/populate those files for that specific computer.

Thanks everyone for your input and enlightenment -- open source rules!

Carl

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: [Solved] no choices listed for downloading photos

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:04 pm

That's great finding the solution yourself
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Software & Applications”