pulseaudio holding my mic hostage in vokoscreen (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

pulseaudio holding my mic hostage in vokoscreen (SOLVED)

Post by charvey »

Hi all,
I use Vokoscreen to capture game play and do a few Linux tutorials for youtube. pulse audio seems to do well most of the time, but i have a few games where i get voice lag which means that as the video plays the voice is behind the video. i tried to switch the settings to alsa in vokoscreen but i get an error that pulse audio is using the device or mic. as much as i like pulse , alsa does a much better job at recording raw sound at the same speed as the video. i have tried to adjust in the game options but not having any luck. is there a way to disable pulse on the fly ? i dont want to disable it perminatly but i need alsa to be dominate .
thanks
charvey
Last edited by charvey on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: pulseaudio holding my mic hostage in vokoscreen

Post by Flemur »

Internet search on [disable pulseaudio]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/8425/ho ... pulseaudio
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: pulseaudio holding my mic hostage in vokoscreen

Post by charvey »

well, that didnt fix anything. it seems that everything is fine with just my mic, but if i try and capture games sounds it throws off the time line between the audio and video. using ALSA only captures my mic so...im lost. Pulse audio is fine for just my mic, if i try and capture sound from the head set while the mic is hot seems to be the problem. closing this thread, seems no one is using vokoscreen but me i guess. thanks for trying.
charvey

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: pulseaudio holding my mic hostage in vokoscreen (not solved , dead end)

Post by MrEen »

Hi charvey. I don't use vokoscreen, but have you tried lowering the fps to see if that helps? If the fps field is flashing red, then it's absolutely too high, and amongst other things, will cause asynchronous sound.

charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charvey »

Thanks for the suggestion, never had an issue at 25-30 fps but.... i lowered my frame rate on capture from 30 to 25, then 20, 15, and 10. at 10 fps the video starts to look bad. it did not help. im wondering if its my wireless headset? ive never had an issue but stranger things have happened. ill try with a plug in head set and test. the sound from the game is set to my headset and vokoscreen captures that line. maybe thats the issue?
charvey

charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charvey »

After much digging and searching i have just decided its a problem in Vokoscreen . I found Open Broadcaster Software which is free, made for Linux, Windows and Mac . i did a side by side test with Vokoscreen and OBS. OBS is hands down the better of the two. all my problems went away and its loaded with many extras . Can watch the difference here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWGd33OHn3w&t=1s
Thanks to those who read this and may it help someone els down the line.
charvey

Return to “Software & Applications”