Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
windowsfanoflinux
Level 1
Level 1

Assistance for switching to Linux from windows 10

Post by windowsfanoflinux » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:19 pm

So lately I've been toying with the idea of switching to linux from windows 10 and have been experimenting with various distros,Linux Mint being one of the ones I'm weighing (one thing I immediately noticed when testing ubuntu is that I could set a custom display resolution from the terminal easily which is really nice as my monitor has a really specific display resolution).(my suspicion of a malware infection on Windows, despite having no solid evidence of this is also a factor). I need to know if anyone can link me to websites for learning how to use the terminal and how the filesystem works (videos will do just as well). I also need linux applications for the following things
-a Python IDE that supports sound playback (I'm making a CLI based game which has a soundtrack and I can't get sound to work in PyCharm on my WIndows machine so this would be really useful)
-a video editor
-a zip,7z and rar file decompressor
-A Canon MF210 printer series driver
Any help would be much appreciated

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Assistance for switching to Linux from windows 10

Post by fabien85 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:26 am

Welcome to Mint,
first thing is that you dont have to learn command line to run linux (especially Ubuntu-based distros like Mint). Many people rarely/never use command line, as happens with other OSes.
Now if you do want to learn the internals, this could be useful :
https://linuxjourney.com/
There is also https://software-carpentry.org/lessons/ which has an introduction to the Unix shell as well as several other programming lessons.

For your needs, I can see in the standard repositories:
- Idle , I dont know if it supports sound
- Openshot
- gunzip, tar, unrar, p7zip are installed by default
- most printers are supported out of the box

windowsfanoflinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windowsfanoflinux » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:07 pm

Thank you for the assistance.
I plan on learning the shell to allow me to do certain tasks more efficently or do ones which don't have GUI's (like setting a custom display resolution that's uncommon and isn't an option by default)(That and the shell is far more capable in Linux).
I tested Ubuntu with the printers I noticed that that one didn't connect (though it may just be that printer as it tends to only print when it feels like it.) Hence, why I asked if anyone had a link to (or link to a repository containing) a linux driver for the printer.
Zachary

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:36 am

HI windowsfanoflinux,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
windowsfanoflinux wrote:set a custom display resolution from the terminal easily which is really nice as my monitor has a really specific display resolution).
Need to know which edition and version of Linux Mint you are using to answer this, and what is the desired resolution, monitor make and model, etc... System Settings and Display is a good place to start, and there may be applets, desklets, etc...
windowsfanoflinux wrote:I need to know if anyone can link me to websites for learning how to use the terminal and how the filesystem works (videos will do just as well). I also need linux applications for the following things
You can easily search the Internet for these, search for "Linux Ubuntu 16.04 + console terminal" or "Linux Ubuntu 16.04 + file system".
windowsfanoflinux wrote:-a Python IDE that supports sound playback (I'm making a CLI based game which has a soundtrack and I can't get sound to work in PyCharm on my WIndows machine so this would be really useful)
You can easily install "PyCharm" free community version or paid for the Professional version in your Linux Mint system among various other Python IDE's (programming languages).

First, I highly recommend installing the full Python2 and Python3 packages using the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" or the console terminal commands below.
To install this open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python-all-dev python-wheel python-setuptools python-pip

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python3-all-dev python3-wheel python3-setuptools python3-pip
How To Install PyCharm In Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 - various installation options.
https://itsfoss.com/install-pycharm-ubuntu/

How To Install PyCharm on Ubuntu 16.04 – RoseHosting Blog
https://www.rosehosting.com/blog/how-to ... ntu-16-04/
windowsfanoflinux wrote:-a video editor
Kdenlive, OpenShot, Lives, etc...
windowsfanoflinux wrote:-a zip,7z and rar file decompressor
All versions of Linux Mint have an archive manager installed, and you can add others. I always install "PeaZip" for Linux (GTK) version. search "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for archive, rar, 7z, zip, and install anything you want.
windowsfanoflinux wrote:-A Canon MF210 printer series driver
Canon imageCLASS MF210 Driver Free Download
https://driver-canon.com/canon-mf210-driver.html

Canon imageCLASS MF210 Driver Free Download
https://www.canonprintersdrivers.com/ca ... ass-mf210/

Speed up your Mint! - Easy Linux tips project (Great Linux website, turn off ad blockers for this)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

windowsfanoflinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windowsfanoflinux » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Hi phd21,
Thank you for the help

I used the guide to set a custom resolution that I found here:http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... u-desktop/

Thank you for the links.
Zachary

frankt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frankt » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:04 pm

If you are interested in learning to use the Linux Command Line Interface, I would highly recommend William Shott's The Linux Command Line. It is available as pdf file. The fourth internet edition is out.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:49 pm

The GUI user interface in Linux has come a very long way since the early days. I really like how it works and makes life so easy.

But, there is a lot of utility in the command line. You don't "have to" use the CLI to get along in Linux world, but it does have its own usefulness.

My job requires that I use a Windows platform, but when i go home it's all about Linux whether on my desktop maching in Kubuntu or my laptop in Linux Mint Mate. On both machines, I keep a CLI open. The biggest thing i use it for is to keep my machine updated, and the next is to make backups. Yep, you can do both of those just as well in a GUI application, but YOU have the choice to do what you want with whatever tools you want in the Linux environment.

Enjoy it! (And dump Windows :lol: ) ...
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

windowsfanoflinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windowsfanoflinux » Sun May 06, 2018 4:08 pm

OK So I installed linux and ultimately settled on Ubuntu(I like it's new Gnome shell) but I'm having one issue across all distros I try with this one app I'm trying to install and it is Kurso de esperanto(an esperanto course which has a linux version)
http://kurso.com.br/elshuto.php?en
Everytime I try to install it (following the websites instructions I get the following error:
error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Any help is much appreciated.
Zachary

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun May 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Ubuntu has a very fine forum, and I suggest that you ask your question there, as we don't do support for other OSses here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

windowsfanoflinux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by windowsfanoflinux » Sun May 06, 2018 4:25 pm

OK. I mainly asked because Mint is based off of Ubuntu so I figured Mint advice would also be applicable for Ubuntu
Zachary

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Sun May 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi windowsfanoflinux,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

khf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by khf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 am

Welcome Windowsfanoflinux - just a remark:
You will not find a "Windows Command Line Interface" - CLI.
Here is is an interface to the OS based on some OS "tags" that you can assign values to - "DIR" to list the directory.
Instead we have the "Bash" shell - an open source variant of the Bourne shell. In a shell, you can make your own commands - just store a command in a file, make it executable - and execute. Like you started with the request for the "CLI" to issue specific instructions to set the display.
This is the "system()" call in Linux you ask for, well "fork(); exec()" and there are differences.
In the "Terminal" you get a shell that is initialised with a number of parameters, like your $HOME directory location.
In a "system()" you get a new PID - it is a separate process, but it has "inherited" everything from the old - but "knows" nothing - no "environment" has been set, so you have to ask ´pwd´to get where you are in the file system. It can use the "file" that contains the commands you want to execute, but without a known path to search for binaries, you have to tell where to look, and well, this include your own directories for binaries, testing, what actually works, and what works perfect so you can share with others.
If you "fork()" a process, you can read your "pid" again, and the process where the PID is not what it used to be, this is the new copy, that process that has the same pid (process id: Integer) is the "parent process". The new process, or child, has inherited all from the old, can do things on the side and just get it done and just die off. It shares even memory with the old process, and it can be "kill()" by a signal(SIGKILL). The two can also help one another - signal(SIGIO) will wake the other from waiting for IO - in a "len = read()" the "len" will be 0 - empty.
On "exec()" Linux will not spin off a new process, but execute in the same process - the existing context. Should there be a bug - segment violation are trapped on Linux, but the command and all will be killed. Well you can catch the trap, but the usual is that then all goes.
The status of "exec()" is the status of trying to run the command. The status of "fork()" is the new "pid", or 0 on failure, "system()" will try to catch errors.
With "system()" or (fork(); exec()" you get a new process. A new process is made, the trap catches the new process and if you look in the console log, it is the new process that gets killed.
The "Widgets" and "drivers" that comes with Linux contains small executable scripts that will be placed in a sub-shell and will run for you. They have tested this, they knew the difference, they know how to set a context and use it. Nothing will happen should the "driver setting" fail, just that the system will not be able to use that screen or printer. Use two screen while you test so you do not have to reboot.
Most of the printer drivers are just the same - sets "variables" that a generic filter can use to produce the correct commands to the printer.
But when you know yourself the commands, want to set it yourself in your way, download a well used screen driver and see what it does. Change to what you know should be done and make your own. I once had a "twist screen" and the code to execute on "twist" was easy: "RESETSCREEN(LL= LINES; LINES=COLUMNS; COLUMNS=LL;)" - but you have many more things to consider now. It maybe the anarchist in me that invite you to write your own screen and printer drivers and explain how to do it, but it is also to explain some details that are very important in Linux. Linux is not Windows, here you can get things done. Learn how to interface, and you can set up your home vacuum to hold the bits for offline storage. Just prove that it works, and it will work and keep on working.

Return to “Software & Applications”