Firefox man page out-of-date

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cthulhu

Firefox man page out-of-date

Post by cthulhu »

As everyone knows, Mozilla is changing things around in Firefox Quantum -- yada, yada, yada. So I'm going along on something totally unrelated and do a "ps -e" and find this stuff labeled "Web Content". I do a "ps -v" on the PID, and I get "firefox -contentproc -childID 1 -isForBrowser -intPrefs" and a whole bunch of stuff afterward. Naturally, I'm a bit curious, so I pull up the man page for firefox....which has no information for "-contentproc", "-childID", "-isForBrowser", or "-intPrefs". Staring at the man page a little longer, I notice it says "2011-02-09" across the bottom -- which would readily explain why any modern-ish CLI flags weren't covered.

I started doing searches relating to this. Just doing a search on "firefox -contentproc -childID 1 -isForBrowser -intPrefs" gets nearly 60 million results, none of which seem relevant. I start looking at the way mozilla's website distributes firefox for linux -- they recommend you check your distro's repos or helpfully provide a tarball ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... efox-linux ). I looked through the tarball to see if I could just extract the man page and see if it might be more current, but it didn't appear to have a man page -- leading me to wonder just who comes up with man pages and where in the greater "upstream" things may have gone awry. Looking at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... documented , there is some indication that Mozilla is the problem.

So, before I go out and become a real annoyance to someone, I thought I'd visit the friendly folks here and get some real knowledge. I'm running "Firefox 59.0.2 (64-bit) / Mozilla Firefox for Linux Mint / mint 1.0". My understanding is that is a slightly customized version of Ubuntu firefox, which is a slightly customized version of Debian firefox, which is a packaged version of the release from Mozilla. Each distro had to reroll the packages along the way. My suspicion is that man pages generally are authored by the originator (who best to know obscure flags?) and are merely passed along (if available) through the chain of distros, and that Mozilla just hasn't updated their linux documentation in a while.

Could someone who knows how "Firefox 59.0.2" becomes "mint 1.0" in the browser's "help/about" box please enhance my understanding?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”