Transferring Thunderbird settings - SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Transferring Thunderbird settings - SOLVED

Post by WHVW »

Hi

I'm in the process of making a new install on a larger drive, and transferring files over. What are the files I need to transfer so that Thunderbird will work?
(It doesn't seem to like a mass transfer of all the stuff in the ".thunderbird" file.)

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Transferring Thunderbird settings

Post by Cosmo. »

At first close TB completely.
Now compress the hidden folder .thunderbird. Transfer the compressed file to the new system and unpack it.
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

C'est la solution!

Thanks, Cosmo; That did it.

It took a couple of tries, it seems you should compress the file in the folder you will open it up in, rather than compress it where it is, copy it and uncompress where you want it to be. I did get an error doing it that way, but when I compressed it to the destination folder, it worked fine.

Thanks again.
Sgthawker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sgthawker »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:36 am At first close TB completely.
Now compress the hidden folder .thunderbird. Transfer the compressed file to the new system and unpack it.
Is compression suggested for any particular reason?

I just copy the .thunderbird folder from one install to another, or copy to a USB stick and copy to another computer with no perceptible issues.
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Ryzen 7 5800X, GTX 3060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
LM21.1 KDE/LM21.1 Cin/ UEFI on STRIX laptop, i7700 HQ, GTX 1060, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

WHVW wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm it seems you should compress the file in the folder you will open it up in, rather than compress it where it is, copy it and uncompress where you want it to be. I did get an error doing it that way
Without telling the error message I cannot say anything about it. I compress it inside of the home folder and it works fine.
Sgthawker wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:29 pm Is compression suggested for any particular reason?
No, not necessarily. After reading in the starting point about problems with "mass transfer" I gave the advice to compress to avoid this problem and avoid wasting time with investigating in the reported problems. I personally use this method, because I need the TB-profile here and then in one of my test systems in a virtual machine and by copying the .thunderbird folder at first into a shared folder for this virtual machine and from there to the home of the virtual test machine it gives some problems with permissions (resulting from the fact, that for the shared folder VirtualBox uses a special file system).
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Transferring Thunderbird settings - SOLVED

Post by WHVW »

Cosmo & Sgthawker:

To clarify: I did try to do a straight A>B copy, but TB rejected it. Perhaps it was just a glitch, but it was consistent through a couple of attempts.
The error, as I recall, was a rather generic "unable to copy file" sort of thing.
Now, oddly enough, the compression technique doesn't want to work for "Play On Linux" files.

Later folks

Return to “Software & Applications”