Problem trying to save Ksnip screenshots. (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Problem trying to save Ksnip screenshots. (solved)

Post by Wompoo »

I have successfully installed and used the screen capture application Ksnip. However, I have been unable to reliably save the output after using any of the edit functions to modify the image. This problem especially occurs after using the cropping function, to reduce the "saved" image to part of the screen.
I am able to save an unmodified screen shot using Ksnip, just not a modified one.
I can see that it is going to be a fantastic application, once I get it to save and so put it into use.
I have watched this good tutorial video on Ksnip from phd21 - thanks for that Phil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5am_x5nAE

However, I am totally puzzled by this problem.
Can someone assist me with this please?

ASUS 64 bit desktop
Linux Mint 17.3 KDE

edit: I have tried installing and using this application in my second computer: Dell Vostro 220 Linux Mint 17.3 KDE. The result is the same. Cannot save edited screenshots in Ksnip.
What is going wrong I wonder?
Screenshot at the bottom shows the screenshot as "unsaved" after I have gone through the normal save process - indicated in the first two screenshots.
These were taken with shutter.

edit#2:
I have done a search for other reports on this phenomenon, but can find no other example. This suggest that I am doing something wrong, or I have a glitch in my installation.
Most likely the former though.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop PC #1
Linux Mint 20.3 MATE desktop (64-bit), Asus
ASUSTeK model: P5G41T-M LX, 8 Gb RAM
lmuserx4849

Re: Problem trying to save Ksnip screenshots.

Post by lmuserx4849 »

If I understand correctly, I was able to reproduce the problem. Although there seems like multiple issues around Save.

I did see the Title still said Unsaved some times, although in one case it was really saved in both 1.4 and 1.5.

I think this is your issue. It definitely wants an extension. In your 2nd image, I didn't see one and it doesn't automatically add it. When I ran it from the command line it displayed a message that was an indicator of a problem. So just add an extension and you should be good to go.

Are you running ksnip-1.4 or ksnip-1.5 (alpha)? The issue below occurred in 1.5, but not in 1.4.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Take a snapshot
2. Save it. File > Save become gray after a save.
3. Crop the image. In 1.4, Save is enabled, but in 1.5 it stayed disenable/gray.

The way I got around this in 1.5, was to select a Tool. I went with the least distructive,Select, and swiped the image. The Save menu became enabled.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 am ....................... So just add an extension and you should be good to go.
Thanks for your reply imuserx.
Where, how etc. for I find such an extension please?
And how do I find out what version I have installed?
Desktop PC #1
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Wompoo wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:40 pm
lmuserx4849 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:22 am ....................... So just add an extension and you should be good to go.
Thanks for your reply imuserx.
Where, how etc. for I find such an extension please?
In your 2nd snapshot, the line: "File Name: Ksnip test save" should read "File Name: Ksnip test save.png"

.png can also be .jpg or .gif

When you clicked File > Save, there probably was an extension, but perhaps when you renamed the file, the file extension (.png, .jpg, gif).

When I tried it myself, I removed the file extension and it wouldn't save it. Hopefully, that'll get you going.

On a side note, although file extensions have no meaning in Linux (unlike Windows), they are human-friendly. Linux uses the internals of files to find out what type it. This information is used by other applications to determine if they can possibly use the file as input. The file explorer will show the type of file and the console command file YourFileNameHere will also.
Last edited by lmuserx4849 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Ooohh! Of course.
Early morning and old age here........................I can be darned obtuse sometimes.

Thanks. Will give it a go now.
Edit.
I tried that.
It will save, but only the unscaled and uncropped image.
Desktop PC #1
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

I tried several combinations.
One with scale only. One with crop only etc. etc.
Everytime, it would save, but only the full screen image. No editing details shown in the saved file.

I am just about at the end of my tether with this one. After all, it is non-essential and the time proven Shutter provides all, or most of, my requirements.
Desktop PC #1
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

Problem solved.
It turned out to be because I was using a space in the file name.
I now use the default file name without spaces and it works fine.
Thanks to phd21 for his exhaustive assistance with this problem.
And thanks also to lmuserx4849 for the very good answer.

I will now mark this thread as solved.
Desktop PC #1
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Wompoo,

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
dporobic

Re: Problem trying to save Ksnip screenshots. (solved)

Post by dporobic »

Hi all,

I've logged three bugs for the reported issues (missing extensions, space in name, copping not marking image as unsaved).

https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/issues/97
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/issues/98
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/issues/99

Cheers,
Damir
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi dporobic (Damir),

Thank you for participating in this forum and adding in those issues to your wonderful Ksnip screenshot and painter applicaton and its Ksnip issues tracker. :)

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
dporobic

Post by dporobic »

So, I've fixed the "unable to save after crop" and the "unable to save after scale" issues:
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/issues/99
https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/issues/100

Bot fixed in 1.5.0-alpha, you can build from source or use the appImage: https://github.com/DamirPorobic/ksnip/r ... continuous

The other two I can't really reproduce on my machine. I've tried:
- saving without extension
- with multiple words with spaces in between with extension
- with multiple words with spaces in between without extension

and it always saves with the default extension of .png and always works.

What happens in your case, the dialog closes but the image is unsaved? Can you try starting from console and post the output here?
Wompoo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wompoo »

dporobic wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:23 am ..............................................
What happens in your case, the dialog closes but the image is unsaved? Can you try starting from console and post the output here?
Thanks for posting here dporobic. Sorry I did not see your posts earlier.
I probably cannot provide more detail here as I could not repeat the problem when I tried it a few times. I am suspecting an operator error sneaking into the process when I was trying to get it to work multiple repeated times.
It is all good now------that is the main thing.
Thanks for the application.

Maybe I should update my installation?
Desktop PC #1
dporobic

Post by dporobic »

Hey Wompoo,

thanks for your reply. I'm glad that it's working now and yeah, you could try latest version, you might find some useful new features :)

Cheers,
Damir

Return to “Software & Applications”