LibreOffice pages jump w/o provocation - Fixed [ not solved like I wanted ]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

LibreOffice pages jump w/o provocation - Fixed [ not solved like I wanted ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

When I am writing up a long message, and I scroll backwards to reread my text, the page will in a few seconds, 3, 4, 5? jumps back to the end of the document, or where-ever the cursor happens to be....

I have learned that if I want the page to "stay put" while rereading it, I had better plant the cursor in the middle of what I am rereading..... this causes me a lot of frustration.... argh!!! :evil:

What can be done to stop this sudden page shifting???

Microsoft Word never, ever, does that to me.... and that is what I have to compare LibreOffice to..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: LibreOffice pages jump w/o provocation

Post by lsemmens »

You are not the only one to have noticed this. Especially on longer documents. (I have one that runs to over 500 pages) It's marginally better as an ODF but, it never did it when using M$ Orifice.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:21 pm What can be done to stop this sudden page shifting???
Turn off auto save.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

hmmm,

that's almost too simple... but I have that set to 3 minutes.

have done that as long as there was a "Microsoft Office/Word" and it never did that to me.

To me, that is a "bug" and should be fixed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:42 pm To me, that is a "bug" and should be fixed.
The debate about that has been raging for years with the LO devs. As a dev myself, it's a bug, not a feature. Auto-saving should be completely transparent to the user but the devs don't see it that way. lol
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Turning it OFF, stopped the annoyance, but I have a tendency to type for 30 minutes to an hour and half and forget to do a manual save....

long ago, I learned that I better keep auto save turned ON....
Now that I now what it is, I will back it off to 10 minutes and just deal with it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 pm
The debate about that has been raging for years with the LO devs.
I can't imagine why there's any debate on that. Quite clearly, it's a bug. Surely nobody would make it do that intentionally?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 am Thank you, catweazel! You're my hero!!!!
You're welcome :mrgreen:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:33 am
catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:51 pm
The debate about that has been raging for years with the LO devs.
I can't imagine why there's any debate on that. Quite clearly, it's a bug. Surely nobody would make it do that intentionally?
I agree, but there it is.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 am long ago, I learned that I better keep auto save turned ON....
Long ago, I learned that I better not trust autosave, hence I learned to save regularly, with different file names.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

catweazel wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:20 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 am long ago, I learned that I better keep auto save turned ON....
Long ago, I learned that I better not trust autosave, hence I learned to save regularly, with different file names.
I do that a lot filename-01
filename-02
etc..
lmuserx4849

Re: LibreOffice pages jump w/o provocation - Fixed [ not solved like I wanted ]

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Does it only happen to files with a docx extension, like this bug - Bug 116907 - Save/autosave still moves view back to cursor position in case of docx files

As a work around, what if you saved the file as an odt while working on it, but docx when done.

On some bug systems, you can vote on bugs that impact you (i.e., kde, launchpad) but I don't think libreoffice (documentfoundation) is one of them. What you can do though, list the steps that produced the bug and the version of LO you were using at the time.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LibreOffice pages jump w/o provocation - Fixed [ not solved like I wanted ]

Post by AZgl1800 »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:31 am Does it only happen to files with a docx extension, like this bug - Bug 116907 - Save/autosave still moves view back to cursor position in case of docx files

As a work around, what if you saved the file as an odt while working on it, but docx when done.

On some bug systems, you can vote on bugs that impact you (i.e., kde, launchpad) but I don't think libreoffice (documentfoundation) is one of them. What you can do though, list the steps that produced the bug and the version of LO you were using at the time.
Never tried that...

I have the Default "Save As" to .Doc ( Office 2003 ) as that is what I have installed, and nearly all of my friends are still using.

Return to “Software & Applications”