Cannot find Wine in mate

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Cannot find Wine in mate

Post by JoHubb »

Wine is in there somewhere because when using context menu on a .jpg I get the option to 'Open with Wine application'.

I also have Wine internet Explorer as an option in this menu.

But I cannot find the program. I wish to run Windows 10 or 7 Photozoom Pro. I think Wine may not run W10 on Linux but not sure.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cannot find Wine in mate

Post by catweazel »

JoHubb wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 am I wish to run Windows 10 or 7 Photozoom Pro. I think Wine may not run W10 on Linux but not sure.
You need a virtual machine to run another OS. Download and install VirtualBox, don't install from the software manager.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=5794

Wine will run one version of Photozoom Pro very well, the remaining versions will have some issues.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

JoHubb wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 am Wine is in there somewhere because when using context menu on a .jpg I get the option to 'Open with Wine application'.

But I cannot find the program. I wish to run Windows 10 or 7 Photozoom Pro. I think Wine may not run W10 on Linux but not sure.

Thanks for any advice.
You can find wine in Synaptic (via the main menu). I install Playonlinux, which brings in wine/winetricks/anything needed, so am not sure which individual things to recommend if at any point you want to see if an app runs via Playonlinux ... you can check WineHQ about how certain apps run and some pointers, or see if Playonlinux has the app in it's inbuilt list (I can't see Photozoom, unfortunately).
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

JoHubb wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 amWine is in there somewhere because when using context menu on a .jpg I get the option to 'Open with Wine application'.
A better way to test; in a terminal:

Code: Select all

wine --version
Probably a BAD ideas to use it!
But I cannot find the program. I wish to run Windows 10 or 7 Photozoom Pro.
Wine won't run "win 10" - I have Photozoom installed and it works great in wine. (Edit: I get "program error" sometimes...see below).

Others have mentioned the lack of menu entries for wine (I don't really use menus, so dunno about that), but it's quite easy to make your own simple scripts to make wine/windows programs act like linux programs.

Run "Photozoom" :
$ cat bin/pzoom

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/pgms/PhotoZoom/Pzoom7.exe
exit 0
EDIT: I get a "program error" about 1/4th of the time with that script - I've been using that script format for years to run wine programs without problems, so dunno.... Anyway, it always seems to run the time after you get "program error"...?

In the Photozoom directory I also did

ln -s "PhotoZoom Pro 7.exe" Pzoom7.exe
so I don't have to deal with spaces in names, which is a terrible practice.
Also note the path is "drive_c/pgms", NOT "/program files". By default they install under "Program Files", yuckl!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JoHubb
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JoHubb »

Thanks for all the interesting posts. I now have Wine running and am using Photozoom successfully. It is a bit jerky when re-sizing photos but otherwise it seems to be functioning normally like in Windows.

For those like me who do not know, Wine has its own .win directory - find it with the file browser. Within this there is a 'fake' C drive. In my system Photozoom.exe can be found here: C:/Program Files

I have a copy of the Photozoom.exe file on the desktop and just open it with a double-click any time I need it. It may not be elegant, but it works. It would be neat to have it opening photos off the context menu all the same!

John

Return to “Software & Applications”