Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

[Resolved] KeePass question

Post by tovian »

Anybody use KeePass?

It's driving me nutty. I downloaded the latest version for Windows and it needs to upgrade my database. That will render it unusable by the version of KeePass I have on my Mint machine. I understand about all that - no real problem.

My frustration is trying to figure out who is who and what is what relative to KeePass for Linux. In the standard repo apparently the OLD version is KeePassX. But it looks like the newer version may be... NOT KeePassX - NOT KeePass - but KeePass2.

Is that correct? Is KeePass2 compatible with the latest version for Windows?

Thanks in advance !!

I went to the KeePass HomePage and SourceForge.
If I understand what I saw they only have source code for Linux and I would have to compile that myself (?)
In my advanced years I don't want to get that far into software engineering for Linux.
Last edited by tovian on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House

sammiev
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KeePass question

Post by sammiev »

The wife uses keepass2 on Windows and I use it on Linux.
No issues.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

It's indeed confusing. Let's clear it up and give some solid advice.

KeePass and KeePass2 (website: https://keepass.info/) are the original programs. These are primarily for Windows but KeePass2 is available on Linux, though not natively but through use of Mono libraries (because KeePass2 is written in C#). On Linux Mint you can install KeePass2 with package keepass2. KeePass2 on Windows and Linux is the same, so databases are compatible, though I think the Linux edition lacks a few convenience features. The version from the repository may be behind a little.

KeePassX (website: https://www.keepassx.org/) was created as a native Linux port of KeePass2, without use of Mono libraries. Unfortunately development discontinued somewhere around 2016 so it's lagging behind KeePass2 and it's probably no longer safe to use. You should not use KeePassX anywhere!

KeePassXC (website: https://keepassxc.org/) is the community developed fork of KeePassX and this appears to be the most actively developed open source one for Windows / macOS / Linux (see the FAQ for mobile options https://keepassxc.org/docs/#faq-platform-mobile). It's fully compatible with KeePass2 database formats. All its features work the same on all platforms and unlike KeePass2, it's written in C++ and runs natively on each platform. On Linux Mint 19 it will be in the repository but you can easily install it now with info from the download section https://keepassxc.org/download/#linux and use their Ubuntu PPA repository, the snap package (for Linux Mint 18 an above, assuming you installed snapd) or the AppImage download.

Personally, on Linux, I advise to use KeePassXC. Whether you use KeePass2 or KeePassXC on Windows is up to you; the databases are compatible.

MinorThreat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MinorThreat »

If you're running 18.3, KeePassXC is available as a flatpak.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi tovian,

+1 for using the excellent "KeePassXC" everywhere. I have it installed using their PPA which also has deb files and I have downloaded and tried their AppImage file which also works great.

- They also have new browser extension add-ons, if you want to integrate it into your browsers.
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Excellent information from everyone - and I am VERY grateful !!

Sounds like "XC" is the way to go.

I now have enough information to close this issue.

THANK YOU AGAIN !!!
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House

O-rion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Resolved] KeePass question

Post by O-rion »

I use KeePassXC, too and I'm very happy with it.
It integrates well into my dark theme.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:00 pm
KeePassX (website: https://www.keepassx.org/) was created as a native Linux port of KeePass2, without use of Mono libraries. Unfortunately development discontinued somewhere around 2016 so it's lagging behind KeePass2 and it's probably no longer safe to use. You should not use KeePassX anywhere!
Well crud! Is there a list anywhere of software we probably should NOT get from the repos anymore? And will KeyPassXC read KeyPassX databases?

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm
Is there a list anywhere of software we probably should NOT get from the repos anymore? And will KeyPassXC read KeyPassX databases?
Two very good questions that I would also like to know the answers to.
I will "UN-Resolve" this issue for a while longer.

Animal House

O-rion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Not Quite Resolved] KeePass question

Post by O-rion »

I used KeePassX before and switched to KeePassXC with no problems.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:18 pm
And will KeyPassXC read KeyPassX databases?
Yep it does. I migrated a few months ago. No issues. I'm using the same database I started on Windows KeePass2 about 3 years ago.

BTW Anyone needing a good Android KeePass app look for KeePass2Android. Comes in two versions - offline - database must be on the Android device and online - supports having a shared database in cloud storage.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

KeePassXC website says:
File format compatibility with KeePass2, KeePassX, MacPass, KeeWeb and many others (KDBX 3.1 and 4.0)
So I wouldn't worry about the database part.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

xenopeek wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:59 pm
KeePassXC website says:
File format compatibility with KeePass2, KeePassX, MacPass, KeeWeb and many others (KDBX 3.1 and 4.0)
Mh, this can only mean, that XC is able to read or import those databases, possibly to convert databases. It is impossible that it writes to database, which can afterwards be read by all of the mentioned programs. At least KPX has no idea about KDBX database files. If those files can be used afterwards by KP2 would be a matter of test. Possible, but not guaranteed (taken from the quote).

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Yes Cosmo. I understand one can't write to anothers database. I just wanted to be sure XC could read (import really) X's database so I can get more current.

Thanks to all who replied. Later tonight I might start a new thread on the software we shouldn't install.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I wrote my last post, because there might be users, who use as well Linux and Windows and need to use the very same database on both systems. Exchanging the DB file between the original KP and KPX should be no problem (from what I have read; I don't use Windows). If somebody has the need to do the same with the newer variants of KeePass, they should at first test the read and write compatibility between XC and KP2 before they find themselves in trouble, because they cannot use the password database anymore.

And especially in this case it cannot be repeated often enough: Backup, backup, backup!

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I installed "XC". When I started it I IMPORTED the old database (has to be on the local machine - I was unable to navigate to a network share).
Then, after supplying the old password, I did a "save as" on the new machine and everything is OK. I did have to start the new system twice and do "Open Database" to get it to remember the NEW database, but now all is well.

Thanks, again, for all the excellent help !!

Cosmo. wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:26 pm
they should at first test the read and write compatibility between XC and...
I am going to install "XC" on a Windows box and make sure both apps can get to a COMMON, SHARED (network) file.
I'll report my results back here.

Animal House

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I Installed "XC" on both Mint and Windows (7). The Linux version cannot natively open (navigate to) a non-mounted drive/share (even though it's available via Samba). I'm not certain but I suppose I could open the DB if I put a mount entry in fstab. With KDE I find that there's little advantage to permanently mounting Windows shares - so I don't do it.

Going the other way works great. If I store the database on the Mint machine the Windows version of "XC" has no problem finding and opening it.
Some day I'm going to convert my file-server to Linux and a lot of my networking issues will vanish.

In the meantime KeePassXC works beautifully in Linux and Windows - and imports/converts old databases - and can share a common new (.kdbx) database.

THANKS for all the help.

I will leave this "open" for a day or two since it seems to be a topic several folks are interested in.

Animal House

Return to “Software & Applications”