<SOLVED> Update manager: Target is configured multiple times

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bitgael
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Update manager: Target is configured multiple times

Post by bitgael »

Just installed 18.3 Sylvia 64 bit, looks awesome! But I'm getting the following error whenever I try to update:

Code: Select all

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_IE) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:2
Any idea how I can resolve this? I saw a thread on github suggesting that brave might be causing it (which I do have installed) but brave isn't mentioned in the above list.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: Update manager: Target is configured multiple times

Post by Sir Charles »

Hi,
In a terminal, run:

gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list
in order to open thebrave-xenial.list and delete all the duplicates. Every source should be specified only once. Close the file and update:

apt update
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

bitgael wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:49 pm

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list:2
Any idea how I can resolve this? I saw a thread on github suggesting that brave might be causing it (which I do have installed) but brave isn't mentioned in the above list.
You probably have two version of the same file "brave-xenial.list" (:1 and :2 ?)
What does this return?

ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave*
if two files listed, then try the below, and if this returns nothing, the two files are the same: delete one of them (then "update" the repo cache):

diff /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave*
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bitgael
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bitgael »

Marziano wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:57 pm Hi,
In a terminal, run:

gksudo xed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-xenial.list
in order to open thebrave-xenial.list and delete all the duplicates. Every source should be specified only once. Close the file and update:

apt update
Thanks! That seems to have solved the problem, there was indeed a duplicated line
Sir Charles

Re: <SOLVED> Update manager: Target is configured multiple times

Post by Sir Charles »

:D to hear you got it working!
Cheers

Return to “Software & Applications”