cant get GNU gcc to work ? ? ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Michel6752
Level 1
Level 1

cant get GNU gcc to work ? ? ?

Post by Michel6752 »

I'm a newby to Mint, so please be patient.
I've used gcc before (on Ubuntu 9-10-11 etc and Xubuntu), in a terminal & in code::blocks
Since I've moved to Linux Mint I cant get gcc to work. After a file is compiled, when I run the compiled
(let's say ./FILE) The compiler sends a message: "error creating file"

Have I left something out during configuration ?

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: cant get GNU gcc to work ? ? ?

Post by catweazel »

Michel6752 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:46 pm Have I left something out during configuration ?
Who knows! You haven't said how you configured it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

Michel6752 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:46 pm on Ubuntu 9-10-11 etc
Mint may be installing a different version of gcc from the one that was available for those older versions of Ubuntu. You could try looking in synaptic for older versions of gcc.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Michel6752 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:46 pm After a file is compiled, when I run the compiled (let's say ./FILE) The compiler sends a message: "error creating file"

Have I left something out during configuration ?
There's generally nothing to configure for gcc, and your description would seem to say that it's your program that produces the error message, not the compiler. Please post either your actual program or a minimal example showing the issue and the command with which you compile it.
Michel6752
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Michel6752 »

OK I found ONE answer (perhaps there are other answers)

I installed Mint THEN gcc version 7 right after. Previously I had gcc version 4.7

My old source codes work WHEN compiled using version 7. The older executables compiled in version 4.7 don't run in version 7
"error creating file" was a valid output from one of those executables.

Please tell me if this is usual (I have just a beginner's knowledge with compilers).

Thank you for your answer.

Return to “Software & Applications”