Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lewahsby
Level 1
Level 1

The Update Shield

Post by lewahsby » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:30 pm

I use Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon.
In past versions of Mint I was able to click the small blue shield at the bottom right corner of my menu bar and update my system. The shield would go from blue with a white 'i' in the middle to green to let me know that the system is up to date. Now with Mint 18 this never happens, the shield remains blue as if nothing is very updated correctly. I've posted two pictures, the #2 picture shows what I get after pressing 'Install Updates'. What am I doing wrong in this update center? Thanks.
Attachments
update2.png
update1.png

JeremyB
Level 19
Level 19

Re: The Update Shield

Post by JeremyB » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:34 pm

In Mint 18.3, any update that is visible with make the icon show updates available even if you don't update that level automatically

I used to have Level 4 and 5 updates visible but not selected for install and that caused the same thing for me

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 pm

At first: You wrote 2 "Mint 18", but actually you use 18.3. That are 2 different things and give the difference in this point. Writing "Mint 18" is confusing.

Second:
Short version: In the previous version the Update Manager respectively lied, when it showed the green check mark, although obviously open updates are available. This has been corrected.

Long version can be found here.

P.S. Your second picture reveals nothing. The terminal shows only a prompt and does not even have the focus.

lewahsby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lewahsby » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm

Cosmo. wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:37 pm
At first: You wrote 2 "Mint 18", but actually you use 18.3. That are 2 different things and give the difference in this point. Writing "Mint 18" is confusing.
Sorry, didn't know.

P.S. Your second picture reveals nothing. The terminal shows only a prompt and does not even have the focus.
I know. I had originally intended to circle the shield in red using Gimp but then I just posted it in hast. Afterwards I also realized that this picture was unnecessary because the other image had everything I needed anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”