[SOLVED] Instant USB Writer flashing...and other weird behaviors

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101

[SOLVED] Instant USB Writer flashing...and other weird behaviors

Post by borg101 »

I just did a fresh install of Mint 18.3 with Gnome3 as my DE, per usual, and I went to flash some USB drives. The first was a Windows 10 install for my friend. It came out seemingly fine. It took an appropriate amount of time to flash. The only thing...it was read only for some reason after that. The next was a few linux flash drives. Various distros on varying drives, all over 4gb. Each time I tried to write an image, it flashed instantly. No error, nothing. I'm utterly perplexed on how to troubleshoot this.

*edit* I used usb-creator-gtk for gnome and it seems to be working normally.

*edit2* Upon further research, there is a known bug with Ubuntu where it will, for some reason on some installs, say flash drives "read only". This is in appearance only. The drives are not read only, but they appear to be as when you drag and drop files, it will not give an accurate status bar, etc. You just get the "read only" error. While I have not found a fix for this, I found out why my Windows 10 install drives were not working. When I formatted them in NTFS and wrote to them in NTFS, the Windows 10 install worked. I only create flash drives when I'm installing Linux or Windows for people so I'll just keep the two I made around for awhile.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Instant USB Writer flashing...and other weird behaviors

Post by deepakdeshp »

unetbootin is another USB creator
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Instant USB Writer flashing...and other weird behaviors

Post by AZgl1800 »

Have not tried gnome yet,
but I am using MultiBootUSB from the Software Manager to make bootable Flash drives.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”